User Experience: Flair Signature PRO - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wachuko

#51: Post by wachuko »

Got mine yesterday... will test it over the weekend...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

drgary
Team HB

#52: Post by drgary »

I've just published the concluding post from the long-form review here:

Flair Signature PRO Review

It includes a solicitation of ideas for auctioning our two demo machines. I've linked that in a separate thread because it's worthy of its own discussion:

Where can we donate to support coffee farmers?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
suarphi

#53: Post by suarphi »

I've been using the Flair Pro while I wait for the flow control device for my HX Rocket. I suspected my shots would be better just by controlling the pressure, and the flair delivered! Depth and range I never got with the Rocket HX. I hope I can maintain the quality once I add flow control to the rocket. If not, we will stick with the flair. BUT

Long term my eye is on the Profitec Pro 800. We don't drink milk coffee. Should we stick to the Flair, or would we get better shots with the P800?

-Anthony

bas

#54: Post by bas »

Or go for the Robot Barista. Same pressure/flow control as Flair but 58 mm basket like the P800. And a more convenient workflow compared to the Flair as a bonus.

Or go for a Strietman!

Or just stick with the Flair if the handling is okay for you. Great machine. With or without the Rocket.

suarphi

#55: Post by suarphi »

I did not know about the Strietman! Thank you

drgary
Team HB

#56: Post by drgary »

I have concluded the Flair Signature PRO review, which now includes a rating. That review is now open for comments. With completion of the review, the two demo units are being auctioned to donate to coffee farmers.

Updated 11/10: The charity auction for the demo units coincided with the release of a version 2. We are now offering both demo units for sale. Please see the listing in the Buy/Sell forum.

[FS] Flair Signature PRO review machines - proceeds will be donated
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

doelauw

#57: Post by doelauw »

I received my PRO a few days ago. I was a bit sceptic on expectations. Previously I had used a Pavoni, which eventually the workflow to preheat and the noise of the boiler steaming annoyed me. I was a sceptic and eager to try the Flair due to the total silent workflow. My first shot was a hit, I'm very pleased with the workflow and shot quality.

Advertisement
dale_cooper

#58: Post by dale_cooper »

Flair pro users - how much more coarse are you having to go with regard to grind, compared to pulling a shot of the same beans on a pump machine?

I'm done experimenting for the night, trying to dial this thing in, but I don't think I've been going coarse enough....

Thanks!

SunSurfH2o

#59: Post by SunSurfH2o replying to dale_cooper »

It's not about pump or hand pressed, it's about the basket geometry (given same dose) and that varies widely across consumer espresso machines. Portafilters come in all shapes and sizes but most people try to relate top opening diameter and those range from 49mm on up to 56mm on these machines. 58mm is the gold standard so to speak but not commonly used in the sub $600 range, even higher (see La Pavoni). So really, there's not going to be a silver bullet provided to you because in addition to needing to know what baskets they're brewing with you also need to compare bed depth related to dose, solubility related to origin and roast, brew temperature, brew pressure, and on and on...

You'll receive more useful advice on improving your results by sharing what your current results are and where you'd like to take them. A full rundown of your workflow, brew inputs and yield are required to receive any meaningful advice.
Andrew

dale_cooper

#60: Post by dale_cooper replying to SunSurfH2o »

Thanks! Wasn't looking for a silver bullet as I'm used to fishing. My question was more of a general question that I'm not crazy to think I should be going quite a bit more coarse on the flair. Reading a couple other resources, it seems to be that the flair prefers a grind in between "standard espresso" and drip. I'll just do more experimenting tonight of going way coarse and seeing what happens to shot timing, and viscosity of the liquid coming out.

FYI, I'm used to 58mm shots pulled on my breville dual boiler, doing a slayer style shot with increasing pressure.

Following flair's suggestion of 18g had a thin looking shot and sour.

Updosed to 20g after reading this thread - now we're getting somewhere. Better taste, feel, but the time is too slow. Went quite a bit more coarse, and the timing and viscosity seemed to improve. I'm going to keep going more coarse at 20g just to experiment and see what happens. I guess I was looking for ...

"yes Joe, try dosing to 20g, and go much more coarse than you may be used to when pulling shots on a 58mm machine".

I completely recognize all the variables in anything related to coffee. Contrary to belief, there is simplistic general direction you can give someone without going down a rabbit hole.

Thank you