User Experience: Flair Espresso Manual Lever - Page 93

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
wachuko

Postby wachuko » Jun 22, 2019, 8:30 am

Camping with it...

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to wachuko » Jun 22, 2019, 8:47 pm

Awesome

And you could roast your own greens too :D I see your roast date is June 6.
LMWDP #603

wachuko

Postby wachuko » replying to happycat » Jun 22, 2019, 9:21 pm

Trust me...I have been trying to come up with a blend that matches this or the other beans that I like without success... I will keep buying roasted coffe that I like until further notice...

Wachuko

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to wachuko » Jun 22, 2019, 11:03 pm

In case it wasn't clear, I was suggesting it as a camping activity. Much like a camper isn't a hotel, roasting greens over a campfire isn't third wave speciality but it's fun and fresh and very doable.
LMWDP #603

wachuko

Postby wachuko » replying to happycat » Jun 23, 2019, 6:14 am

Ohhh. Got it!!

Wachuko

YeetSkeeterson

Postby YeetSkeeterson » Jul 10, 2019, 4:37 pm

Is the Flair Pro worth it for a novice vs a vintage La Pavoni?

I have the grinders Commandant C40 and the Kinu M47. I drink exclusively black coffee/espresso (I don't drink milk, almond or oat at most occasionally) and brew only for myself 95% of the time, don't really need anything explicitly portable.

Cheers

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to YeetSkeeterson » Jul 10, 2019, 9:53 pm

The Flair (classic signature) is simple and works great.... used it for a year and have abandoned my pump machine for home or travel. I don't see it as a novice machine, but it certainly would work great for novices. Wish I had it as my original machine back in 2012. I would have saved a lot of headaches messing with PID, VST baskets, overpressure valve, clogged solenoid, steam wand, de scaling boiler, and whatnot.

I think a scale to measure brew ratios might be more helpful than the pressure meter on the pro, but I've found that I like higher pressure shots with lower doses of coffee ground finer.

Add a PID kettle and a gram scale to a Flair and you've got a great package with lots of control.
LMWDP #603

YeetSkeeterson

Postby YeetSkeeterson » Jul 10, 2019, 10:03 pm

Alongside my Commandant C40 and Kinu M47 I have a gooseneck kettle with a temperature readout as well as a scale, and my half dozen or so various coffee brewing methods, the Hario woodneck is arriving tomorrow actually.

I have been practicing my brew methods for about a year diligently now, and get fresh roasted coffee weekly from a local roaster, organic fair trade Peru, this week has produced some of the best cups of my life and made me look into lever machines, I love the intimate connection as a home coffee hobbyist between the machines and myself... I was going to go for a vintage La Pavoni but they cost a hefty dime plus maintenance even if that's few and far between.

I am debating between the Flair Pro and the Robot... the Robot seems to make nice results, has less moving parts/components overall and is very simple.. I do not like that the Robot's main body is made of aluminum and holds the off boiling water. Regardless I'd like a pressure gauge as I am OCD.

Thanks for the reply...

Edit : Actually Cafelat just replied to me on YouTube... Looks like the aluminum does not come into contact with the water or coffee.

bobpaule

Postby bobpaule » Jul 14, 2019, 8:53 am

I just now started using a Flair Singature. I vacillated between it and the other models, what made me avod the Pro are the reports of leaks during extraction due to a design flaw in early models.

After about 200g of wasted grinds I got it dialed in.

Very happy with the machine, it will be a steady companion on my vacations along with the Knock Aergrind.
Never get between a man and his ristretto, ever!

MikeTheBlueCow

Postby MikeTheBlueCow » replying to bobpaule » Jul 14, 2019, 9:51 pm

Nothing wrong with going Signature (base) over Sig Pro. But are you referring to the leak of the pressure stem? They fixed that right away and now have a super strong stem. Just an FYI to anyone looking now, this is not an issue any longer. I never actually had the issue and and still got a new stem sent. Have not had a single issue with the Pro.