User Experience: Flair Espresso Manual Lever - Page 90

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
melkenshawn

#891: Post by melkenshawn »

shotwell wrote:After preheating and adding water can you introduce an instant read thermometer to the cylinder before inserting the piston? Having an idea of a starting brew temperature would help me to diagnose.
It was 95 degrees celsius or 203 farenheit.

shotwell

#892: Post by shotwell »

You certainly seem to be getting hot enough to work with most anything. Any chance you can put together a video of your process or describe it thoroughly? I found that my flair method needs a surprisingly long preinfusion+shot time to avoid sourness for medium light/light roasts.

dmw010

#893: Post by dmw010 »

Sour might mean underextraction rather than low temperature. I'd suggest the problem is mainly your grinder. And probably too large a dose. Poor grind and too much coffee makes underextracted, sour shots more likely.

melkenshawn

#894: Post by melkenshawn replying to dmw010 »

I'm looking into acquiring a hiku grinder. But in the meantime, would how much would you suggest i dose instead?

Thank you!

Rytopa

#895: Post by Rytopa »

Would not recommend the Hiku if your purpose is for espresso. It requires quite alot of strength to grip and turn, especially light to medium roast

melkenshawn

#896: Post by melkenshawn replying to Rytopa »

Oh i was offered a used one at $150AUD so i thought it was a pretty decent price.

dmw010

#897: Post by dmw010 »

melkenshawn wrote:how much would you suggest i dose instead?
I've had success at 16g with the coffee I use, but I know others dose lower, like 12g. While the Flair needs a coarser grind than a typical espresso machine, remember that you will need to grind a bit finer as you reduce the dose. Experiment to find a dose that works well with your coffee. But I wouldn't expect much better results until you get a better grinder. I use a Helor 101.

melkenshawn

#898: Post by melkenshawn replying to dmw010 »

Do you think a lido 2 would be sufficient?

dmw010

#899: Post by dmw010 replying to melkenshawn »

I think people may still use the Lido 2 for espresso, but it wasn't designed for it. Perhaps someone else can tell you how well it works. The Lido E is the espresso version of the Lido, with finer adjustment than the Lido 2. If you want to make espresso, my advice is to get a grinder designed for espresso. Search the Grinder forum, there are discussions about pretty much every hand grinder on the market.

vit

#900: Post by vit »

I'm using Lido 3 (similar construction like Lido 2, different burrs) and Feldgrind. Both work reasonably well, though not ideal. Problem with Lido 2/3 is adjusting mechanism which has too much tolerance/free play in the threads, which can be solved by "teflon tape" tweak