User Experience: Flair Espresso Manual Lever - Page 75

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mintran

#741: Post by mintran »

How does the quality of espresso produced by Flair compare with semi-automatic machines like Breville Infuser? CoffeeGeek says that Breville's shots are more complex.

Thanks!

mivanitsky (original poster)
Supporter ★

#742: Post by mivanitsky (original poster) »

CoffeeGeek. LOL

I can't speak to the Breville infuser, but with same grinder, water and coffee, I can get pretty much equivalent shots from my Flair and my Slayer. It is a bit easier with the Slayer, of course. Grinder and skills make a big difference here. Some coffees actually benefit from the declining temperature profile of a manual lever, which the Slayer cannot do.

mintran

#743: Post by mintran replying to mivanitsky »

Thanks for chiming in! I actually prefer manual machines since I HATE maintenance. I don't mind the extra time, I only pull 1-2 shots a day.

happycat

#744: Post by happycat »

I've enjoyed travelling with my Flair. My kit is clunky though.

- visiting parents house
- boil water in their crappy kettle
- steam heat 2 cylinders in pot with inch of water and top
- grind with Pharos which is big
- paintbrush & Flair foldout to capture and transfer grounds
- used stainless demitasse which fits in Flair bag

- visiting second home
- filter water in Mavea
- heat water in Buono kettle with thermometer
- dry heat 1 cylinder on burner beside kettle for a couple minutes
- grind with Pharos
- paintbrush & Flair foldout to capture and transfer grounds

Some CONS
- Pharos is big for travel :roll:
- no water filtration (parents' water was bad and ruined the coffee; changed to their bottled water and it was fine)

Sette Grinder Info:
As a data point, my wife used our Gaggia Classic (with VST basket) at home today and 4 macro clicks DOWN on the Sette (compared to use for Flair) got her close to a good shot. Probably should be 5 macro clicks down.

Portafilter issue:
I'm not sure if I did this... but I think I have distorted the roundness of the metal portafilters? I think the silicon-ringed screens are sliding down a bit, and the tamper doesn't smoothly fit so coffee can get trapped on the side of its base.
LMWDP #603

gimpy

#745: Post by gimpy »

I use the Knock Feldgrind as my travel grinder with the Flair. I heat just about everything (water) in a microwave, if possible.

I only take it to my kids houses, though. Otherwise, I suffer thru hotel coffee and local Starbucks, normally.

MikeTheBlueCow

#746: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

happycat,
I use a Lido grinder for travel, which comes with it's own travel case, and while it isn't tiny I find it's easy enough if I'm already making space for the Flair. Still, there are smaller grinders which might be okay for the Flair.

You might look into an immersion boiler to use for a travel preheating option (very small, fits into the kit). Or a travel kettle, or maybe just the bottom part of a Moka pot.

My dispersion screen very easily pushes into the portafilter and always has. It's one of my annoyances, but usually it only happens if I'm pressing all the water out of the cylinder, so I don't do that anymore and just keep a wet puck which isn't that hard to dispose of. It can also squeeze in if I'm not careful when putting it on the portafilter, it requires a light touch. As far as the portafilter being distorted, I have noticed it varies from day to day. It is sometimes a tight fit, other times not. Might be the temperature?

SunSurfH2o

#747: Post by SunSurfH2o »

happycat wrote:I've enjoyed travelling with my Flair. My kit is clunky though.

- grind with Pharos

Portafilter issue:

I'm not sure if I did this... but I think I have distorted the roundness of the metal portafilters? I think the silicon-ringed screens are sliding down a bit, and the tamper doesn't smoothly fit so coffee can get trapped on the side of its base.
David, I'm with Frank on the choice of grinder for best balance of performance and portability and with Mike on using an immersion heater for both brew water and preheat. My fav is to invert the cylinder in a mug, cover up with water and drop an immersion heater right down the middle, clipping it onto the cylinder. Carefully transfer the cylinder out and use the water to brew.

I'd like to know how you do travel with the Pharos! Especially grinding light to medium WITHOUT bench dogs to hold down the back end. I'm struggling to find a rhythm with the oppositional forces that a mere 15 cranks for 17g demands.

RE the pf out of round, is that on more than one pf? Send photos over to service@flairespresso.com so we can check it out. Might be a warranty issue.
Andrew

happycat

#748: Post by happycat »

gimpy wrote:I use the Knock Feldgrind as my travel grinder with the Flair. I heat just about everything (water) in a microwave, if possible.

I only take it to my kids houses, though. Otherwise, I suffer thru hotel coffee and local Starbucks, normally.
Yes your grinder makes way more sense but I'm finishing my Ph.D and trying to be frugal :D
How do you heat the metal cylinder with the microwave option? Just pour in hot water?

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:happycat,
I use a Lido grinder for travel, which comes with it's own travel case, and while it isn't tiny I find it's easy enough if I'm already making space for the Flair. Still, there are smaller grinders which might be okay for the Flair.

You might look into an immersion boiler to use for a travel preheating option (very small, fits into the kit). Or a travel kettle, or maybe just the bottom part of a Moka pot.

My dispersion screen very easily pushes into the portafilter and always has. It's one of my annoyances, but usually it only happens if I'm pressing all the water out of the cylinder, so I don't do that anymore and just keep a wet puck which isn't that hard to dispose of. It can also squeeze in if I'm not careful when putting it on the portafilter, it requires a light touch. As far as the portafilter being distorted, I have noticed it varies from day to day. It is sometimes a tight fit, other times not. Might be the temperature?
I think immersion heater is smart. I looked into that years ago. I would want a thermometer with it too as it affects flavour.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the screen issue. It doesn't cause any problems.

I do push through all the way and blowing out the puck works well for me too.
SunSurfH2o wrote:David, I'm with Frank on the choice of grinder for best balance of performance and portability and with Mike on using an immersion heater for both brew water and preheat. My fav is to invert the cylinder in a mug, cover up with water and drop an immersion heater right down the middle, clipping it onto the cylinder. Carefully transfer the cylinder out and use the water to brew.

I'd like to know how you do travel with the Pharos! Especially grinding light to medium WITHOUT bench dogs to hold down the back end. I'm struggling to find a rhythm with the oppositional forces that a mere 15 cranks for 17g demands.

RE the pf out of round, is that on more than one pf? Send photos over to service@flairespresso.com so we can check it out. Might be a warranty issue.
Yes your heating idea sounds smart. I need to find a reasonably priced one in the great white north. Prob eBay from China

Well I have a death grip on the Pharos. I embarrassed myself in front of my Dad grinding light roasted Tanzanian Peaberry. But with my medium dark roasted Uganda and Honduras no problem at all.

I will check tomorrow. It doesn't affect results. I'm impressed you are asking. It was my wife's gift to me so she is extremely pleased that I am happy wth it. Now the pressures on me to gift her just as well.

Does anyone use a portable water filter solution? I see filter straws on amazon but that seems a bit wacky for this purpose. But who knows.... maybe with a foldable silicone container
LMWDP #603

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

#749: Post by CoffeeCoffeeCoffee »

Has anyone used this machine at higher altitudes, i.e. above 1200 meters or 400 feet? How does it perform?
The only criteria that really matters is how much you enjoy your coffee

naked-portafilter

#750: Post by naked-portafilter replying to CoffeeCoffeeCoffee »

At 2300m it performed just perfect: