User Experience: Flair Espresso Manual Lever - Page 101

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
vit

#1001: Post by vit »

If it helps, I bought a 40mm tamper from china, it was much cheaper than flair tamper, but had to file it to about 39.5mm to fit. But I prefer using the plastic one, because it's easiert to have it vertical. Basket is narrowest at the rim, inside is more than 40mm, it"s not perfectly circular (both original and bottomless), so I see no benefits of using the metal one, except with low doses when plastic tamper doesn't go deep enough

tag1260

#1002: Post by tag1260 »

I use the plastic one also BUT I use my calibrated 58mm tamper on top of that to get consistent tamps. Works great and I haven't had a bad shot since getting dialed in with this approach.

staymesso

#1003: Post by staymesso »

Has anyone tried putting a Pearl on it? Does it fit or is a Lunar the max size

madrian

#1004: Post by madrian »

Why is my Flair not pushing piston on the center? Or this is normal?

vit

#1005: Post by vit »

No, it's not normal

Try unscrewing the big bolt holding PF base to the stand by 1-2 turns, slightly realigning the PF base so that cylinder and piston get in line with the roller, then tightening it back. With some experimenting, you will hopefully find the best position

Fisher

#1006: Post by Fisher »

madrian wrote:Why is my Flair not pushing piston on the center? Or this is normal?

For heaven's sake, don't take anything apart. Contact Flair (service@flairespresso.com) to confirm what is normal! They respond very promptly & give the best advice & assistance.

madrian

#1007: Post by madrian »

I just drop them an email, but I think vit is right. The only adjustment is option is from underneath the portafilter holder, but man they really tightened that screw.

vit

#1008: Post by vit »

Yeah, it was rock hard on mine as well. I had to adjust it as well, because with lever at about horizontal position, roller was pressing on the plastics of the version 1 piston + slightly filed the plastics at that position (which was slightly above the metal plate), otherwise it would crack like happened to some members. Later, Flair changed the piston design to prevent this from happening

It's not a rocket science. Sometimes you have to correct manufacturer's glitches yourself ... but nothing wrong with contacting the manufacturer first either

madrian

#1009: Post by madrian »

No one thought about to buy/make/request for a silicone lid (Pro like) for the Classic? The pre-heat process would be much easier than insert/remove whole piston.

gunda

#1010: Post by gunda replying to madrian »

It certainly would! I'd thought about it, but this is the first discussion of the idea that I've seen. Has anyone talked to Flair about the idea?