Used Olympia Cremina shoots water with lever pulled up

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Dmax

#1: Post by Dmax »

Hi folks, I just pick up an '89 Cremina from Ebay. Took it all apart and rebuilt with new gaskets. It was actually in pretty good shape. Also fitted an Elektra MC bottomless portafilter. Some pics below, I know you guys like pics.

I tried to fire it up for the first time, and has hot water/steam erupt out of the grouphead when the level was pulled up. Also, I noticed that there is pressure to keep the lever down when the machine it hot. Not sure if I missed a gasket somewhere, or maybe put one in backwards? Any help is appreciated.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Dan,

Welcome to H-B! Showing a video would help. Otherwise, when you raise the lever hot water is supposed to come out of the group. I'm not sure I understand your question unless it's coming out the top. In that case you would have missed the piston rod gasket.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Dmax (original poster)

#3: Post by Dmax (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can grab a video tonight. Basically, when I lift the lever all the way up ... hot water shoots out violently from the bottom of the portafilter. I would be surprised if this was considered normal.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I had my first used lever do that and it turned out it was missing the shower screen. I didn't see one in your pictures so I thought I'd mention it.

Ira

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

When I raise the lever on my Cremina, hot water comes out the bottom of the group forcefully. That is normal. If you're concerned you can check the pressure with a steam wand pressure gauge and make sure it's set at about 0.9 bar or so.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Dmax (original poster)

#6: Post by Dmax (original poster) »

Hmm, ok. So when you use the machine, you just don't lift the lever up all the way?

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I insert the portafilter loaded with coffee, lock it in, and use half pumps to get the group temperature where I want it. The half pumps don't release water but only heat the group. Then I lift the lever all the way. The coffee offers resistance but becomes saturated. Drips start to come into the cup. Then I press the lever down for a beautiful, rich espresso shot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Dmax (original poster)

#8: Post by Dmax (original poster) replying to drgary »

Thanks, good description. I'm still learning, and wasn't able to do the 'coffee saturation' step. Instead, I blasted my countertop with brown water. I'll try to regrind and tamp better before anything else. It does seem like a lot of pressure though.

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

When you press the lever down you'll be brewing with about 9 bars of pressure. The saturation isn't nearly that much.
Gary
LMWDP#308

grog

#10: Post by grog »

Sounds like your grind may not be fine enough, or tamp is too light, or dose is too low (or some combination thereof).
LMWDP #514