Urania Steam valve (old version, with excentric actuator) repair or replace?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcelnl

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

Several years ago I rebuilt the original steam valve in my Urania and it worked well until now...it starts to seize, which is a bit dangerous and messy when it happens as steam spurts milk all around and it's a burn wound waiting to happen.

The Urania is the daily driver so gets a fair amount of use, were it for a collectors item the choice would be easy, rebuild, yet I dread doing this 5-6 years.

https://www.tse.at/at/shop/index/cat/c2 ... entil.html

I found replacement excenter shafts (assuming that is the worn part, 'exzenterwelle'), of which I bought the last original in stock years ago...the 'hut mutter' or head nut may also be worn (or both).
The design is such that the metal rubs on two dry/wet surfaces, in some versions I saw a metal ring that sits in between the head nut and excenter shaft, but never found one and doubt it'll protect from abrasion very well.

I vividly recall the process of rebuilding as tedious so I'm wondering if I should go that route again, or install a newer model....looking for input from folks that have dealt with this steam valve before, also to see what newer steam valve would be best since it seems that a large bit sticks out in front of the faceplate.
LMWDP #483

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

if you have a vise, switching out parts/the gasket isn't a big hassle. I think some of these valves can be adjusted to use newer styles of cammes, but the thing to check is the size of the center hole that the camme fits into in the valve body. I only have dealt with this valve you describe on one machine, my Mercurio. I only had my small vise at the time of restoring it, but it was sufficient for my needs (but I do recommend soft jaws when clamping the piece which is not what I did at the time in 2020/21).

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl (original poster)

#3: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Thanks Ryan, I know the rebuild itself is not that hard once you understand all the moving parts.

Faema Urania steam switch, needs some TLC

it's more getting all steam pipe connections tight and the estimated lifespan of the original that make me wonder what the best way to go is.
LMWDP #483

IamOiman
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman »

If you have the ability to make new pipes, I would not be super concerned about it. If you need a new valve, they do pop up for sale occasionally.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl (original poster)

#5: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) replying to IamOiman »

I'll open the damn thing up to see...I should have a replacement hat nut, copper pipe is lying around and perhaps I should just prepare for tinkering in order to get better at making proper connections....
LMWDP #483