Uniterra Nomad - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pnay

#31: Post by pnay »

Hi everyone,

I'm a home espresso newbie. Just ordered the Nomad after seeing reviews from Brian and Lance.

Has anyone found a tamp through funnel that works well with a 49.5mm tamper? Based on this thread, it seems the 49.5mm funnel doesn't mate well with the basket. I'm wondering if anyone found the sweet spot funnel.

I'm planning on ordering the 49.5mm La Pavoni tamper from creativewerk but wasn't sure which funnel would work well with this tamper and the 50mm nomad basket.

Thank you for the advice!!

BruceWayne (original poster)

#32: Post by BruceWayne (original poster) »

So, taking a closer look, it seems like my funnel sits slightly high because its rim touches the plastic of the tray. That lets a thin layer of coffee get between the basket and funnel. You're probably not going to find a funnel that fits better, tbh.

Advertisement
pnay

#33: Post by pnay »

Gotcha! Thanks for the quick reply and the photos :) I'm going to go with this same setup!

lloito

#34: Post by lloito »

I find that doing the prep with the basket outside of the delrin carrier solves the gap problem.

roggerdavid

#35: Post by roggerdavid »

here is a couple of videos of my workflow with the nomad. One is 10 mins long with me just talking. Second one is one made in my office at 8 mins with beans already weighted out and a small electric kettle. I love the portability of it. cleanup is 2-3 mins.
10min of min talking to death, sorry for it I might mute the video
8 min shot

Today's shot

pnay

#36: Post by pnay »

I ended up getting a funnel and 49.6mm tamper from Max. This combo works really well. This combo doesn't leave any coffee on the walls of the basket. Overall the dosing funnel has probably improved my workflow the most. While the tamper from Max does help improve function, it's more so a marginal benefit compared to the stock tamper. I will say that the quality of the tamper from Max is awesome so there is certainly a big improvement in form, if not function.

Thanks for all the advice!

lloito

#37: Post by lloito »

Interested if anyone has had an opportunity to compare workflow and shot quality vs the picopresso.

Advertisement
Tsvi999

#38: Post by Tsvi999 »

BruceWayne wrote:Yeah, you need a funnel, otherwise grounds get all over the tray. I picked up a 49 mm funnel from Amazon.
Hi,
What funnel did you buy? Can you share a link?
Thanks!

lloito

#39: Post by lloito »

Trying out a mod to improve workflow. I do not use the crema valve so figured I could eliminate two surfaces from the cleaning process. Turned out quite nice, need to work on getting dry pucks now and the cleaning could be reduced to a wipe down without the need of a sink to rinse.

Tsvi999

#40: Post by Tsvi999 »

lloito wrote:Trying out a mod to improve workflow. I do not use the crema valve so figured I could eliminate two surfaces from the cleaning process. Turned out quite nice, need to work on getting dry pucks now and the cleaning could be reduced to a wipe down without the need of a sink to rinse.
This looks great. How did you cut the drawer?
And do you find it is really improving the cleaning workflow?