Unboxing the Bosco Sorrento - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
OldNuc

#41: Post by OldNuc » Aug 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Yes and it is near impossible to boil any of it down to a simple rule for 90% of what has to be done. That code covers lots of ground and a percentage is not pertinent to most jobs.

IamOiman

#42: Post by IamOiman » Aug 14, 2019, 9:59 pm

One week has passed since I first started up my machine, and here are some thoughts after pulling about thirty shots so far:

I heavily recommend investing in an automatic timer for the machine because of the long (70-90 minutes) heat up time without flushing the group. This will allow you to wake up and immedietely pull a shot without sleepily tapping your foot as it warms up. If you are done for the day early you can just switch off the machine and turn it on again after the designated shut off time has passed.

You will use more water with a commercial machine than with a home lever from flushing and frothing. With my Elektra and Pavoni I used around seven gallons total over about 500 shots pulled during my junior year in college. Not counting the initial boiler fill up I already have used a little less than a gallon for the thirty shots in the Bosco.

Using a plastic shelf cover will protect the cup holder from scratches. To ensure the cups heat up with this addition placing towels on them will keep the heat in and heat them up faster.

If you are coming from a domestic machine the commercial steam arm on the Bosco is far more powerful than what you may be used to. I can froth a pitcher of milk in half the time I needed for the Elektra (which I considered a fairly strong domestic steamer). I see no reason right now to switch out the default 4-hole tip. You will also have a hot water arm that is useful for purging water or making americanos. I do not personally see myself using it too much unless I really wanted some instant hot water for Ramen noodles or tea :lol:

The 1 group Bosco can hold 4 espresso cups per row front to back and just barely 3 cappuccino cups. Overall a mean estimate for the tray capacity with just espresso cups is 24. You can double stack the cups if you wish but that is almost overkill for the number of shots you would pull in a session and I do not know what the weight limit is for the tray but I do not want to dramatically find out through failure.

After waiting over a year and finally using my Bosco is a little hard to describe besides maybe Euphoria. Every time I walk by I want to smile when looking at it. It is my own little commercial bar in my house. Where can I find this high quality of espresso near me? Where can I find espresso this cheap, paying 13 cents per single shot! Quite difficult to say the least. I also find myself wanting to use it as often as possible. I actually pester my parents to invite friends over just so I can make them a shot. Every single worker that has stopped by our house has received espresso from my Bosco or Elektra. It's fun to use I daresay.

The final question I would ask myself is if the Bosco was worth it. This may be a little difficult to define if you are looking for the best deal. For me I can already answer yes to that question as I already know what I will be getting out of it based off my initial requirements for a commercial machine.

I wanted a machine that was:
  • -Made in Italy, preferably from Naples
    -Is a spring lever
    -Has character (ie something beyond the billion steel boxes of e61 machines in the prosumer market)
    -Is relatively unique compared to other hobbyists' machines
    -Is long lasting
    -Is simple to maintain
    -Is 'reasonably' priced (my initial budget was $4000 but I got it for less)
The Bosco satisfied all of my requirements. If I did not know Bosco or was forced to select something else brand new I would have selected the Profitec Pro 800. Otherwise it would have been a used La San Marco 85 Leva or vintage machine as my primary selection. To conclude, I am quite one happy customer of Bosco and cannot wait for tomorrow to pull my next shot.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by JohnB. » Aug 15, 2019, 9:34 am

IamOiman wrote: You will also have a hot water arm that is useful for purging water or making americanos. I do not personally see myself using it too much unless I really wanted some instant hot water for Ramen noodles or tea :lol:
I use the Bosco's hot water wand after every shot to rinse the p/f & the cup. Initially I had the same Intermatic timer you are using but I found it to be fairly inaccurate time wise. Switched to their digital ET1705C which is rated for up to 30A. https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-ET170 ... NrPXRydWU=

This is mounted inside the cabinet stand the Bosco sits on with a shorter version of the Bosco power cord hard wired into the timer & a power cord coming out of the timer that plugs into my wall outlet.
LMWDP 267

mallen4248
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by mallen4248 » Aug 15, 2019, 11:42 pm

Why are you questioning your decision to buy the Bosco. You had a rare opportunity to buy and have shipped to you an incredible piece of equipment at an incredible price. Never look back! Now if it needs a home.......lol
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

truemagellen

#45: Post by truemagellen » Aug 15, 2019, 11:56 pm

I understand they don't make wifi plugs for 20amp 110 and it's hard to find a decent one for 220v but they do have z-wave iftt relay boxes you just need to wire in.

That way you can setup complex timer sequences for different days or scenarios. Even set it up to shut down when you are out of town or remotely shut down. Plus some monitor power

Here is a heavy duty one for example that could run a hot tub if needed.

"GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Heavy Duty 40 Amp Smart Switch, Indoor/Outdoor, 2HP Rated, 120-277V, Energy Monitoring, Range Extender, Zwave Hub Required, Works w/SmartThings, Wink, Alexa, 14285 Metal Box" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YTCZZF0/re ... vDb10FKP6J

And here is a lighter weight one that is half the price and competitive with intermatic digital timers:

"Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch, Z-Wave Plus Home Security ON/OFF controller, 40 amps record electricity consumption" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBIRF5W/re ... vDb8302YTN

JohnB. wrote:I use the Bosco's hot water wand after every shot to rinse the p/f & the cup. Initially I had the same Intermatic timer you are using but I found it to be fairly inaccurate time wise. Switched to their digital ET1705C which is rated for up to 30A. https://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-ET170 ... NrPXRydWU=

This is mounted inside the cabinet stand the Bosco sits on with a shorter version of the Bosco power cord hard wired into the timer & a power cord coming out of the timer that plugs into my wall outlet.

IamOiman

#46: Post by IamOiman » Aug 16, 2019, 7:40 am

mallen4248 wrote:Why are you questioning your decision to buy the Bosco. You had a rare opportunity to buy and have shipped to you an incredible piece of equipment at an incredible price. Never look back! Now if it needs a home.......lol
It was never second guessing for me. I was simply reiterating what my initial requirements were that the machine before making a final decision. If I wanted to still remain near Naples if the Bosco was unavailable and I for some reason did not want the Profitec 800 (my second choice) I would have gone for the MyWay/Izzo Pompei. They can be found for ridiculously cheap (like €500 for a used 2 group) for those bigger than 1 group.

Nonetheless the circumstances that led to me buying the Bosco at a reduced price compared to the US is an extremely unlikely and fortunate outcome.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#47: Post by OldNuc » Aug 16, 2019, 8:11 am

There is no problem locating high current/wattage timers in the industrial component world but you will also not find any IOT enabled devices. The low cost place to shop is the surplus equipment world.

Balthazar_B

#48: Post by Balthazar_B » Aug 16, 2019, 8:34 am

truemagellen wrote: "Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch, Z-Wave Plus Home Security ON/OFF controller, 40 amps record electricity consumption" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBIRF5W/re ... vDb8302YTN
This is the one we use. Works very well, and of course integrates superbly with whatever home automation solution you're likely to have deployed.
- John

LMWDP # 577

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by JohnB. » Aug 16, 2019, 9:06 am

truemagellen wrote:I understand they don't make wifi plugs for 20amp 110 and it's hard to find a decent one for 220v but they do have z-wave iftt relay boxes you just need to wire in.

That way you can setup complex timer sequences for different days or scenarios. Even set it up to shut down when you are out of town or remotely shut down. Plus some monitor power
Zero interest in wi-fi controlled timers/outlets/hubs/ect. I live in a large 270 year old home with a massive brick fireplace(5)/chimney structure dead center. Not wi-fi friendly. You can set up the ET1705C to do any timer sequence you could want. Can I call it from my car? No. Do I care? No.
LMWDP 267

truemagellen

#50: Post by truemagellen » Aug 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Balthazar_B wrote:This is the one we use. Works very well, and of course integrates superbly with whatever home automation solution you're likely to have deployed.
This is great to hear as I have been debating what z-wave to get vs building one on my own as I ordered an Izzo Alex Leva that arrives next week and it's 110v 20amp.