Unboxing the Bosco Sorrento - Page 13

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#121: Post by espressotime »

A seal is a seal?
Don't know but the seal in my machine has been in there for almost 8 years now and still is as flexible as a new one.

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#122: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Beanz wrote:Based on your description I would be more inclined to review the grease you are using or if it is known to be good brand then maybe review the Qty used. Cafelat has a good video of installing the seals where Paul Pratt stresses using just a smear of grease
I use the exact same grease he uses, Dow 111 by Molykote. Looking at the vid I use similar amounts as he does.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#123: Post by JohnB. »

IamOiman wrote:I hope so. I would get the blue piston v-seals. I also want to see if they would work well with the Faema v-gasket on the Mercurio so I will get 6 v-gaskets in my order. This situation is really odd.
I believe the new blue seals are slightly wider?? then the red ones. If there is a clearance issue the red ones might work better. For the price you could try both if Cafelat's shipping charges to the U.S. normalize at some point.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#124: Post by JohnB. »

IamOiman wrote:
The apparant effect is the squeak will get a little louder over time and if I attempt to pull out the piston it is extremelly difficult to do so. It is much easier to pull it out when I do not notice the squeak.
Are you sure the squeak isn't spring contact? With 4 seals lifting the lever assy out can be a bear. Mine takes some wiggling to get out.
LMWDP 267

Team HB

#125: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

If it is the spring squeaking why would this squeaking go away after lubing the seals?

So what you may be also suggesting is that this could be just normal use and I am overthinking this as well if you also note it can be really hard to get the upper group out? Like when there was a lot of squeaking I or someone else had to hold the machine down or I would start picking it up with me as I got the piston out.

If the shot quality and output do not really change is there really an issue? I often err on the side of caution and that may be causing me to think there is something wrong.

Yea it is unfortunate my normal shipping company I would use with them is still not available for Cafelat.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#126: Post by JohnB. »

IamOiman wrote:If it is the spring squeaking why would this squeaking go away after lubing the seals?
Is it lubing the seals that makes the squeak go away or just that removing & reinstalling the assy. tweaks the spring position slightly?? Easy enough to tell. The next time you have the piston/lever assy out carefully inspect the sleeve surface for any signs of spring contact.

While my lever assy did require some effort to remove no one had to hold the machine down. Once again this sounds like a clearance issue between the piston & sleeve. Have you discussed this with Roberta?
LMWDP 267

Team HB

#127: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I have not, and I will need to do so I think once I have my thoughts gathered. I rubbed my finger around the cylinder sleeve and visually inspected it when taking out the group a few days ago. I did not see or feel any divots/imperfections.

This is just really odd. I never had issues before with the original grease applied in terms of squeaky noises and I am certain it is not the spring rubbing. I might contact Bosco just to obtain whatever grease they used.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

def

#128: Post by def »

I used the red silicon Cafelat seals (on pro 800). Good fit, not super tight.

Amazing that @espressotime has used the same LSM rubber seal for 8 years and it is still in good shape.

@IamOiman -- do you still have the original black rubber seals that came with your Sorrento? If yes, I would reinstall these to see if the problem goes away. Perhaps your silicon seals are slightly bigger than optimal and they are so tight that the lube gets scraped/displaced quickly?

Team HB

#129: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I always had the red v-gaskets. I never switched them out. Like I said it's very odd this cropped up only after switching greases. Perhaps the other stuff that Bosco uses was better suited but that would be strange since I know for certainty others use DOW 111 without issue. Yea like we said before I am certain it's either the seals or the tolerances of the group.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

def

#130: Post by def »

OK, sorry -- my misunderstanding.