Unboxing the Bosco Sorrento - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
grog

#11: Post by grog »

I have a completely different machine (La Cimbali M20 Eleva) but I had the same issue with a leaky manual fill valve. It would leak during heat up every time I turned the machine on from dead cold. I never could figure out why it was happening, but after a while it just stopped and now it doesn't leak whatsoever during warmup.
LMWDP #514

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

Some more photos on the technical side, first with a better image of the machine. The tag shows a manufacture number of 589. I believe they reset the manufacturing number when they switched to the modern CMA groups in 2011 but do not know for certain. Being almost 9 years from then this is pretty close to reported 60 machines produced per year at their workshop.
My Sorrento was built 5/11 with the new style group & is number 259 so no number reset that year. In the approx. 7.5 years between my machine & your 10/18 machine they built 330 so an average of 44 per year unless they number the single group machines separately from the multigroup versions.
LMWDP 267

IamOiman

#13: Post by IamOiman »

I think I will ask them directly as I am curious now about how they number machines.
grog wrote: I never could figure out why it was happening, but after a while it just stopped and now it doesn't leak whatsoever during warmup.
Hopefully that will be the case for me!
bettysnephew wrote: I also had a very small amount of weapage when I first started mine up but it disappeared in a couple of days. If I recall it was from the vacuum breaker atop the boiler. That was replaced with one that has a fitting for silicon tubing and empties into the cup beneath the drip tray. Thanks to JohnB for recommending this upgrade along with several others.

Perhaps the funky tasting first shots were due to some residual small amount of water left in the boiler from testing. After filling my boiler and heating up I pulled the lever down and purged a couple of good sized pans of water to clear out any that may have been left over from their check out. Didn't want to get Montezuma's Revenge from foreign water although the boiling process should have eliminated that possibility.
My vacuum breaker is fine and is not leaking for me. I'd say the shots may have been a mix of what you said but I definitely ground too coarse and or used too little coffee. The first shot produced took less than 15 seconds for the lever to go back to rest position and espresso immedietlely exited the spout when I pulled down!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Balthazar_B

#14: Post by Balthazar_B »

JohnB. wrote:My Sorrento was built 5/11 with the new style group & is number 259 so no number reset that year. In the approx. 7.5 years between my machine & your 10/18 machine they built 330 so an average of 44 per year unless they number the single group machines separately from the multigroup versions.
And mine is #527 from June 2017. There's a decent chance someone on H-B has a 2 group and might chime in.
- John

LMWDP # 577

samuellaw178
Team HB

#15: Post by samuellaw178 »

Congratulations, that's a nice looking machine! And you have that in a dorm? Double wow! I wish I had roommates like you. :lol:

Have no idea what to do with the leak (especially for a new machine) but look forward to hear more about your Bosco experience. :D

IamOiman

#16: Post by IamOiman »

Thanks!

Today I did the first mod to the machine. There is a nut on the group cap that will strike the lever fork. If pulled hard enough the fork will have an indentation left on it from the nut. I placed a few layers of electrical tape for protection and so far it works great. You can see the small marks made before I did this in the photo

One thing I've noticed with the Bosco is when I pull down the lever, the frame will not bend. In smaller prosumer levers like a Profitec there is a slight dip the frame will make when pulling down on the lever that is not harmful but may be an annoyance for some people. The Bosco's frame takes the weight from the pull like a pro. Just food for thought
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

Where is the nut on the cap that it hits? Are you are talking about the group cover or the screw head I see in the top of the group? That screw was added on later machines then mine. What does it do? I removed the group cover when I received my machine & it's been in a box ever since. Seems a shame to cover that beautiful group.
LMWDP 267

IamOiman

#18: Post by IamOiman »

Oh the tape does not cover the decorative cap. There is a single screw/nut I covered in small bits of that tape which is the one you mentioned is new. It does not relate to the cap as I took it off. It appears to be related to the CMA group itself though I cannot say if it is a modification made by Bosco or if the group was altered after yours.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

3cordcreations

#19: Post by 3cordcreations »

Looks great!

Those look to be made very well, I talked to workers on the phone at Caffè Lusso and they like Bosco's very much. Now if they just made a compact version that was smaller and 15a service... those are massive for a one group.

What a great option if you have all the pieces in place to make a machine like that possible! Enjoy!
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

dominoak

#20: Post by dominoak »

IamOiman wrote:Oh the tape does not cover the decorative cap. There is a single screw/nut I covered in small bits of that tape which is the one you mentioned is new. It does not relate to the cap as I took it off.
Hello: first time I've seen that cover on that particular group. Is it made of plastic (as is the cowl on the Bezzera Strega) or metal ? Thx.