Unboxing the Bosco Sorrento - Page 17

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#161: Post by JohnB. »

I went 2 years last time between lubings with Dow 111 but i go back & forth between machines so maybe 1 year of full time use.
LMWDP 267

def

#162: Post by def »

IamOiman wrote:I have not had issues since that application last December. Before that it was 2 years.
Any noticeable operational difference between Loxeal and 111 since you switched to Loxeal?

bettysnephew

#163: Post by bettysnephew »

FWIW, mine goes approximately a year between lubings, I begin to notice longer shot times when it is due.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#164: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

def wrote:Any noticeable operational difference between Loxeal and 111 since you switched to Loxeal?
The Loxeal does not noticeably get sluggish over time. It has remained about the same.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#165: Post by JohnB. replying to IamOiman »

It's only been 5 months. It took 2 years before I noticed any sluggishness with the Dow 111.
LMWDP 267

Team HB

#166: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Which is certainly an improvement over the DOW :D
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#167: Post by JohnB. replying to IamOiman »

In your machine maybe. You've obviously got some clearance issues between the seals & the sleeve if you needed to relube after just a few months.
LMWDP 267

Balthazar_B

#168: Post by Balthazar_B »

def wrote:Any noticeable operational difference between Loxeal and 111 since you switched to Loxeal?
They're both fine. Loxeal #4 has more viscosity at room temps than Dow 111, but there's probably not much difference between them at working temperature. Just use whatever's easier to find. Lubing is quick, easy, and infrequent, so apply some sparingly when you think it should be done.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Team HB

#169: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I lasted much longer this time with the Loxeal-4! I just about passed 11 months before I recently noticed a slack in the shot and a squeak here and there. It was a little difficult to pop out the upper group but twisting the upper group assembly while pulling upwards helps a lot (do it in a cw direction so you don't accidentally unscrew the piston!) since static friction is greater than kinetic friction. Not too much to say, just the regular grime that needed cleaning off. The seals still look great and overall the grouphead still looks nice.

In terms of lube amounts I put enough to see a greasy texture on the seals. Even though it sounds like I do it more frequently than others need to do it I find it not very difficult to do, taking maybe 15 minutes max. Compare this to an E61 group service :D !

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

EddyQ

#170: Post by EddyQ »

Two weeks ago I re-lubed my KVDW Idro seals with Haynes silicone lube I got from Stefano's (link below). The last lube was back in June, also with Haynes. So this is a period of 4-5 months and by far the longest I have been able to go without some lube maintenance. I put Bosco seals in back last April using Dow 111. But they very quickly got all stuck up in only a month causing various issues. The Bosco seals seem to survive the stickiness that results from Dow 111 and the pervious Cafelat silicone seals did not. The Cafelat seals lasted less than a month with Dow 111 (one seal actually rotated due to getting stuck). For me, Dow 111 is out and never to be used again. I am curious of the Loxeal and may need to order tube since my tiny Haynes tube is about gone.

https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... -113gr-4oz

I am curious as to why John is able to get years between lubes and mine is only months. One difference is my group is hot (very hot, like 188F at rear mount) all the time. My pistol has only three seals and Bosco uses 4. Could clearances as John mentioned be another cause? I will measure my pistons the next time I get them out and re-post.
LMWDP #671