Two lattes with La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FJP

#1: Post by FJP »

Hi all,

I am from the Netherlands and new at this forum. I currently own a Rancilio Silvia v3 with meCoffee PID. I want to take my Barista experience to a next level or lever :-) and I am really interested in the La Pavoni Europiccola, I am planning to buy one second hand to use it first alongside the Silvia, but if possible I hope it eventually can replace the Silvia.

Before buying one I was looking for information how to make two lattes with this machine. I want to know if I can use the same procedure that I follow on my Silvia, which is as follows:

1. Fill double filterbasket with freshly ground beans
2. Using a double spout portafilter, I pull a double espresso which is split over two cups
3. Heat up and steam milk
4. Poor milk into both cups.

I am specifically curious if step 2 is possible on a Europiccola. I searched the internet and Youtube but I couldn't find the information I am looking for.

Thank for all the replies.

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Hi [anonymized], I think it depends on how large are your lattes and how much coffee you use in each. What's your basket dose on the Silvia ?

You can now get deeper baskets for the LP Europiccola depending on group size. Elektra mcal baskets are deeper than oem LP baskets and fit the 1st and 2nd gen groups. IMS now makes a deeper basket for the 3rd gen millennium groups.

N.B. Pre-mill <01 machines take 49mm basket while millenium 01> take 51mm baskets.

I steam prior to pulling any shots.
I use Streiman double baskets which I believe are IMS and dose 14g-14.5g using a 74 machine.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

FJP (original poster)

#3: Post by FJP (original poster) replying to redbone »

Tnx, I am used to dose 15-17g of coffee. So I believe that I can use the europiccola to split one pull into two cups. Will the steamed milk be of good quality when steamed prior to pulling after the shots are ready?

EddyQ

#4: Post by EddyQ »

My Millennium LPE typically results with 29-32gms of espresso. If this is split with one pull into two lattes with the dual spout portafilter (which does work), the risk would be too small of a shot in each cup. But if you are fine with smaller shot, the LPE should work fine.

For a milk drink, I typically pull one shot into one cup, froth the milk, pour and serve a 6-8oz latte/cap. The second cup is a repeat. If I had a bigger milk pitcher, I would likely froth enough milk for both cups.
LMWDP #671

gimpy

#5: Post by gimpy »

I have an LP and use it every morning to pull my wife two lattes. I use any where from 14 to 16 grams of coffee. A single pull usually results in somewhere around 18 to 24 or 25 grams of coffee. For my wife, I do a double pull and usually get around 40 to 45 grams of coffee. I guess if you want even more, you could pull a third time and maybe get around 55 or so grams of coffee. The time of the pull(s) vary depending on roast, grind and tamp.

I use a double spout to pull into a single cup. It usually does not drain from each spout evenly, though.

I'm one that pulls the shot first, then steam the milk.

This is per latte.