Turbo Shots on the Olympia Cremina? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
tonejac (original poster)

#11: Post by tonejac (original poster) »

So I dove in and have been trying a double coarse grind (26 on the Niche Zero vs. my normal espresso shot grind size of 12). I'm doing a 10 second pre-infusion with a 5 second quick ramp-up to 6bars and with a quick 5-second ramp-down to ambient pressure.

I "think" this is a turbo shot and have had some quite tasty smooth drinks from it. I am finding it very turbulent and having quite a lot of channeling, so I use my spouted portafilter whenever I pull a turbo shot. The bottomless PF ends up being way to messy.

Any thoughts/opinions/guidance anyone can provide?
High hopes and low expectations.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

At least as I understand it, the Hendon, et. al., paper found a second "sweet spot" for pump-driven espresso extraction. It is with a slightly coarser dose and a faster flow rate (shorter total time). There is no extended "PI" that I'm aware of.

That you're getting enjoyable shots with your technique is worth pursuing.

At least for my gear, I'm only about 2-4 marks coarser on a Niche Zero. You might try "no" intentional PI and see how those taste to you.

shotwell

#13: Post by shotwell »

Michael Cameron (aka Strivefortone) is one of the authors on the paper and is using an e61 flow control device to preinfuse before turbos. Generally he's doing a quick fill of the group, closes and blooms til pressure drops a bit, and then ramps to flow. It's worth pursuing, though ten seconds of held preinfusion is probably a bit long. I'm using a Cremina sl and a Bianca to run some pretty fast shots. After the group is filled on the sl a couple seconds of preinfusion is more than sufficient for this profile.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by pizzaman383 »

shotwell wrote:I'm using a Cremina sl and a Bianca to run some pretty fast shots. After the group is filled on the sl a couple seconds of preinfusion is more than sufficient for this profile.
What basket and dose are you using? What ending shot weight are you getting on the Cremina SL?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

shotwell

#15: Post by shotwell »

I'm running the strietman 15 and 18 depending on mood. Today I dosed 17g of a pretty light gesha and ended at ~51. I'll end up as high as 55 if I preinfuse a little longer.

The stock SL baskets appear to be ims fwiw, but I've used the strietman before and like them.

YeetSkeeterson

#16: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

As much as I'd love to own a Cremina I do appreciate the utter versatility (at the cost of perfect manageability and price) that my Robot Barista provides.

While I did pull a number of "turbo shots" since they've gained ground, I quickly reverted back to my preference of a fuller bodied traditional shot. They are interesting once or twice for a new bean or new roast but beyond that they weren't for me.

How I feel is: if you want to taste specific and apparent notes, do a tasting. Otherwise I need the depth and pungency an 18-21g, 20-30 second shot provides. To each their own I guess.