Troubleshooting Robot Basket Insertion - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rajbangsa

#51: Post by rajbangsa »

Just inspected my basket

https://streamable.com/ueibd

still working fine

hope that op issue will be resolved soon :D

Paul_Pratt

#52: Post by Paul_Pratt »

Ok I have the Robot back now. Seems ok to me, locks in without fuss, basket of course is fine. Sorry for the vertical vid.
Anyway I will use this experience and try and add to the user manual which I am working on updating now.

Advertisement
YeetSkeeterson (original poster)

#53: Post by YeetSkeeterson (original poster) »

I used this Robot for 2 months straight without any hitch until the topic of the thread and of course , this would be the embarrassing result.

I did everything I could to figure it out. I do have one request that I'd like to ask after watching the video closely.

Can you lift the Robot arms with your right hand and insert it with your left? That is how it feels most natural to me and how I had always done it, from when it worked fine to after I started having issues. I'm a "goofy" righty and using my left hand to insert a basket which is pointing to the left always felt most natural. I simply happened to notice we use different hands, not sure if that'd affect absolutely anything but for science's sake, I'd like to know.

CharacterZero

#54: Post by CharacterZero »

I lift the left arm with my right hand and insert basket with my left hand (lock in from left to right). No problems here. I believe my Robot was in one of the first shipments from the original Kickstarter campaign. I'm still using the original gasket and I use the machine daily.

Nate42

#55: Post by Nate42 »

I've mentioned this on the mega thread, buts it probably worth repeating here. If you have a problem with your gasket, the basket won't lift up high enough to lock in. And there is a really easy way to verify this independantly. With the piston down (so you can see what you are doing) the basket should slip over the gasket with minimal fuss. If it doesn't, most likely your gasket needs lubricating, reseating, or in extreme cases replacing. If it does, the gasket ain't the problem. Also, if you are struggling with getting the basket lined up with the piston, nothing is stopping you from starting out this way even when you are actually pulling a shot.

hbk520

#56: Post by hbk520 »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:I used this Robot for 2 months straight without any hitch until the topic of the thread and of course , this would be the embarrassing result.

I did everything I could to figure it out. I do have one request that I'd like to ask after watching the video closely.

Can you lift the Robot arms with your right hand and insert it with your left? That is how it feels most natural to me and how I had always done it, from when it worked fine to after I started having issues. I'm a "goofy" righty and using my left hand to insert a basket which is pointing to the left always felt most natural. I simply happened to notice we use different hands, not sure if that'd affect absolutely anything but for science's sake, I'd like to know.
Sir, I suggested leaving it and finding next machine to enjoy pleasure of coffee.

cheers ~
★ Helpful

jpender

#57: Post by jpender »

YeetSkeeterson wrote:Can you lift the Robot arms with your right hand and insert it with your left? That is how it feels most natural to me and how I had always done it, from when it worked fine to after I started having issues. I'm a "goofy" righty and using my left hand to insert a basket which is pointing to the left always felt most natural. I simply happened to notice we use different hands, not sure if that'd affect absolutely anything but for science's sake, I'd like to know.

In your own video demonstrating the problem the portafilter was in the right hand, the same way Paul showed in his video.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#58: Post by drgary »

At this point, the OP's Robot has been returned to Cafelat, which has issued a refund and paid for shipping. The OP insisted there was a lock-in problem, Paul Pratt didn't find a problem. The OP's machine is not available for further testing. Many of us have had Robots in regular use for a long time and have no problems with it other than refining technique. I've taken one apart and put it back together, so it's very easy to troubleshoot, including changing the piston gasket. It's time to lay this thread to rest.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!