Travel case for Kinu, Robot and steamer!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jgood

#1: Post by jgood »

I have looked at most of the threads about cases for the Cafelat Robot -- but couldn't find any with room for a Bellman steamer. I have ordered a Robot and Kinu grinder and plan to take these with a Bellman steamer, tiny scale, cup and coffee on some trips. Has anyone done a case for this rig?

Ken5
Supporter ★

#2: Post by Ken5 »

hopefully someone will chime in about a case that would take all those items. A few months ago I did see this on the kinu site, a case they made for their hand grinders. Not really what you wanted, but something to consider if you can't find what you want.

https://kinugrinders.de/product/hard-travel-case/

Ken

Edit... thought my response could be helpful in that it could be a nice alternative to not being able to fit all the items in one case. That grinder takes up a good amount of real estate.

MNate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by MNate »

I'll do the thing where I say what you're not looking for, don't you hate that? Anyway,

I just got back from a nice trip with the Robot/KinuM47 but I have the French press style frothed which works fine. I use it to microwave the water too, if there is a microwave. But I'm not feeling like one of those collapsible kettles would be a great addition. This last place had a kettle, the time before did not, and I realized how much easier things are working with a kettle. (Does the electric bellman double as a kettle? I wouldn't have thought so). Anyway... here's mine that I've probably already posted but it's not how I'd do it if I had to do it again. Just one of the Harbor Freight cases.

Ken5
Supporter ★

#4: Post by Ken5 »

Wouldn't a bellman fit in there if he decided not to put all the accessories in there that you have?

I remember that case, was very impressed the first time I saw it, as I am now. What would you do differently if you don't mind me asking?

Ken

jgood (original poster)

#5: Post by jgood (original poster) »

MNate wrote:(Does the electric bellman double as a kettle? I wouldn't have thought so)
Sadly the "stovetop" model I have doesn't do kettle duty - I doubt the electric one does either. But now I see that the complete kit could (should?) have a kettle and a little camping stove.

zix
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by zix »

Yeah, with a camping stove and a kettle as well I'd say it is starting to look like a case you want to surround with a car.

I have that problem as well. The Robot is so nice and so easy to travel with - but if you want to make coffee while on the road and just stopping for a break, or when walking/camping without a car, having a Bacchi/Caffeemotive espresso or a 9Barista is so much more practical - since the kettle comes built in with the machine. They are a great alternative to the simple "cowboy" coffee kettle when setting up camp, too.

In hotel rooms or hostels, it is another matter.
LMWDP #047

spromance
Supporter

#7: Post by spromance »

Two cases? Gets less and less practical, which I hate to suggest for that reason...but the only way I found to bring everything on the road. Robot, Bellman, Bonavita travel kettle, grinder, and cups all fit though between these two...

These are both Harbor Freight cases. Cost about $100 total.

EDIT: Also, I'll add that with these crammed in the back of an overpacked minivan, one (or maybe both) have definitely fallen out while unloading and hit the pavement. No damage of course to equipment, and I loved the peace of mind knowing whether they fall out of van (or are 'crushed' underneath other luggage)...all is well. Good luck on your search for a solution!

zix
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by zix »

Oh - where do you keep the coffee? Is it in the grinder?
LMWDP #047

zix
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by zix »

... And water?
I do understand that we usually can't expect to take all our coffee and water in this same bag. So there has to be a question of "how will you travel with your coffee". Going on a hike? Going canoeing? Going camping by car? Going flying?
Kinu, Robot and steamer could be with you for all of them.
LMWDP #047

aspenextreme03

#10: Post by aspenextreme03 »

Question for you as I am going to travel to my parents at some point this year and looking to take my bellman, robot and comandante. Though about taking my forte bg that is overkill. Do you check this luggage on a flight? I cannot imagine you carry it on? I travel a lot for work but never long enough to warrant bringing my home setup. Thanks in advance.