Tour of Kent Bakke Collection at Seattle Leverfest, January 13, 2018 - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
arcus
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by arcus »

Amazing! :shock:

Sansibar99

#42: Post by Sansibar99 »

Absolutely stunning!

(it is A - u - sonia, btw)

And the grey Kvdw in the background is a 1991 "Zizi": http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/history.html
LMWDP #422

Sansibar99

#43: Post by Sansibar99 »

Paul_Pratt wrote: Bottom left is a Cimbali ALA. One of the 1st ever horizontal machines. I think it is called ALA.
There she is, the maybe once in a lifetime opportunity to stand up and correct Mr. Paul Pratt ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think, the La Cimbali is the Gioiello, the first model of LaCimbali with lever piston design from 1950 and the succesor of the ALA.
http://www.collezionecaffecagliari.it/collezione/#384

Well, now that the moment is gone it doesn't feel so special after all :oops:

Gary, the first Snider vertical in your gallery, the very small one, is called "Elespress". A very beautiful machine!
In post #35, there is a two group lever in the back with a red plexi railing - this is probably an Eterna Grand Prix (original with clear plexihood)

The unidentified grinder in #36 is from Rancilio.

Cheers,
Holger
LMWDP #422

boost

#44: Post by boost »

Amazing collection.
I am surprised I did not see more LM machines, I spotted a comet, poker and a MP GS3.

pootoogoo

#45: Post by pootoogoo »

Here is the occasion to correct Holger... and save the honor of Paul Pratt. :lol: :wink:

I'm pretty sure that the machine shown is a two-group Ala... and that's the amazing thing about it !
I knew the two model coexisted (see episode 24) but I've never seen a Cimbali Ala with a lever group before.
Gary do you have a full picture of that one by any chance ?

But... (there is a but)... the Ala is not precisely the first horizontal boiler, since the Bambi brothers (La Marzocco) patented it in 1939 (see episode 23). There are no La Marzocco of this particular type found (yet), hence it's not sure they even build one, with the start of the war. Let's say the Ala is the one that really diffused the concept.

drgary
Team HB

#46: Post by drgary »

pootoogoo wrote:Here is the occasion to correct Holger... and save the honor of Paul Pratt. :lol: :wink:
You guys are too much! :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary »

pootoogoo wrote:I'm pretty sure that the machine shown is a two-group Ala... and that's the amazing thing about it !
I knew the two model coexisted (see episode 24) but I've never seen a Cimbali Ala with a lever group before.
I was so amazed at finding a second Lollobrigida, one of my very favorite classic machines, that I didn't even notice what was next to it. So that's all I've got. The partial photo I show, though, is consistent with what one might expect with the Gioiello in single group layout, so that's my vote. Or did La Cimbali make a transitional machine just to make us crazy? Maybe Kent can tell us what it is.

Here is a link to a photo of the Ala for comparison.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Paul_Pratt

#48: Post by Paul_Pratt »

pootoogoo wrote:Here is the occasion to correct Holger... and save the honor of Paul Pratt. :lol: :wink:

I'm pretty sure that the machine shown is a two-group Ala... and that's the amazing thing about it !
There are 1 group ALA lever machines, I have a photo somewhere. I will find it.
pootoogoo wrote:But... (there is a but)... the Ala is not precisely the first horizontal boiler, since the Bambi brothers (La Marzocco) patented it in 1939 (see episode 23). There are no La Marzocco of this particular type found (yet), hence it's not sure they even build one, with the start of the war. Let's say the Ala is the one that really diffused the concept.
I used to own a Marzocco that used badges from the Marus, they used some old stock from the 40's. I sold it back to La Marzocco.

drgary
Team HB

#49: Post by drgary »

Here are two more photos not previously shown. The first is ... ???

The second is a very large hand-driven coffee grinder that appears to be designed for blending.

Gary
LMWDP#308

pootoogoo

#50: Post by pootoogoo »

These giant coffee "wheel" mills were produced and sold from the end of the 19th century to the 30s (before the availability of big electric motors), mainly by US companies (Fairbank, Coles, Gray & Dudley, Hobart, Holwick...).
A bit too high for the kitchen counter... knowing that there is a steam machine that goes with it, to drive the wheel. :mrgreen: