Tour of Kent Bakke Collection at Seattle Leverfest, January 13, 2018 - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

I left you with a cliffhanger. Yes, Kent Bakke revealed his favorite espresso machine, saying perhaps it's because it's the oldest. He took some time to look through his phone and show the Edisonia he has at home. It's from 1910. He says the name "Edisonia" is probably a rebranding because many electric appliances were named for Edison in the early days. He gave an Italian name that I don't recall but it's on a badge on that machine. This works on incoming line pressure. It heats the water electrically. The lever opens the valve to start flow to the group. There's also a outflow, and he says the wooden base is original. This isn't his photo but is one from an eBay photo shown on our site.

He also has many uprights. Here are a few of them. After this I'll call it a night. There's much, much more to come.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

Great stuff! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

roadman
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by roadman »

Thanks to everyone who posted photos of these beautiful, artfully crafted machines. It was a stunning experience.

Many thanks to Gary for arranging this exotic expedition and for his detailed reportage, to Kent Bakke for letting us view his treasure trove, and to Janet for her shining example of spousal love and patience. :wink:

pootoogoo

#14: Post by pootoogoo »

Wow, that's such a chance that I'd love to have one day... seeing all these historical beauties for real.

By the way, the Edisonia machine is the oldest domestic electric e'xpress type machine. Patented by Manlio Marzetti in 1908 and sold by Edisonia, a shop for phonographs and phonograph cylinders. A shop owned by... Guido Snider, later owner of the Snider espresso brand. Its model name was «Eccelsior». All the details are on the episode 22 of my espresso saga (in French).

danetrainer (original poster)

#15: Post by danetrainer (original poster) »

Thank you Sebastian for filling in a tiny bit of that information it would have been incredible for you to take part of the "tour" and share your great depth of Espresso machine knowledge.

There were at least two Snider espresso machines I saw throughout the collection...a name and brand I never knew existed. Several other brands and names I was also left scratching my head about!

I was having a hard time determining my favorite and although in agreement with Dr Gary on the Marte, several of the LaSanMarcos were continually making me change my mind!

And Cher, I did comment to Mike that you would have had a heart attack had you been along for that impromptu tour!

danetrainer (original poster)

#16: Post by danetrainer (original poster) »

Photo of Kent discussing his Edisonia to the group in the basement space of the collection, Mike Ivanitsky looking at the camera and Gary at the left edge of the photo.

Kent is standing in front of one of the original workbenches from the La Marzocco factory, shown below:

dominico
Team HB

#17: Post by dominico »

I have to admit that I was tempted to fly out there for this, now I really wish I had!
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

[creative nickname]

#18: Post by [creative nickname] »

Simply amazing! I do hope they eventually get those beauties out of the basement and on proper display.
LMWDP #435

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by FotonDrv »

Are there plans for an espresso museum?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

redbone

#20: Post by redbone »

Hard to believe that this is not in Italy but in Seattle.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549