To say yes or no to the Faema President

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#1: Post by IamOiman »

So I am set with a 'minor' dilemma. I have two wonderful commercial lever machines, a brand new Bosco Sorrento and Gaggia Tell 2 group, sitting in my family's apartment as we prepare to move back to the US. Two days ago, in the town we live in, a 2 group Faema President popped up on subito. It looks to be in fantastic condition, and I think I can get the price for €1300. Here is the issue: I want this machine, and have always wanted a 50's vintage faema. This is probably my best chance for a while to get one, but I have already spent a fair amount on the other two machines. I know what I have is overly sufficient, but convincing myself to pass on the opportunity to acquire this piece of history at such a close location is heartbreaking. Money for me personally is no trouble as I have almost everything paid for in college and do not spend much outside of coffee (I estimate of all the money I spent outside of necessities coffee is about 90% of that total expenditure). It is more of a physical issue, and I feel I am slowly becoming like my mother, who collects, collects, and collects clothing. Am I in the wrong for wanting to collect, collect, collect coffee machines at a time when I may not be able to acquire them for such a good price after I leave? I would also get free shipping since our move is paid for by the government up to a grossly ridiculous weight limit. I am likely leaning towards no due to my current collection, but what would you do as lever fanatics in this situation?

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Advertisement
redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Flip the Gaggia and get the F. President. Greater odds of selling a used F. President when and if you want to unload.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Freddy Camacho

#3: Post by Freddy Camacho »

Like my wise borderline hoarder friend keeps telling me...

Regrets from buying is better than regrets from not buying.

And its better to have an extra machine and not use it, than wanting to use it but no extra machine.

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

Grab it. Keep all of them until you get tired of one and then sell whichever one it is. These are not real easy to find in complete working order and will completely disappear from the market at any price soon. If that was down the street from me at that price it would already be in the back of the truck.

Pushjerk

#5: Post by Pushjerk »

It's a yes from me. Absolutely do it.

If I were in the same situation and didn't even have the $, I'd find a way to get the money, dignified or not.

grog

#6: Post by grog »

I would buy it.
LMWDP #514

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by LBIespresso »

This is like asking your buddies from the heroin den if you should buy more heroin...
LMWDP #580
★ Helpful

Advertisement
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to LBIespresso »

I can see that. We'll see what I do. I looked more closely and it's missing a few parts (that can probably be replaced) like the steam arms and hot water wand.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Beaniac

#9: Post by Beaniac »

It's not a gen 1 president though...

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

IamOiman wrote: Money for me personally is no trouble as I have almost everything paid for in college... I would also get free shipping since our move is paid for by the government up to a grossly ridiculous weight limit.

So how could this possibly be a mistake?

I'd sooner regret that I'd purchased it than pine over the loss of not seizing this rare opportunity while having the chance.

'Let's see, should I cash in my winning lottery ticket or maybe I don't really need the money right now'.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"