Tips for removing La Pavoni old style boiler flange?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
toddmp

#1: Post by toddmp »

I have the 2 hole boiler flange and cannot get it to budge with any DIY methods. I see there are tools to buy and rent but they all appear to be for the 3 hole flange version. Any tips?

perfectwheels

#2: Post by perfectwheels »

I have one of these to remove as well. I was going to make a tool but something like this might be a good option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-FACE ... 1068919453

perfectwheels

#3: Post by perfectwheels »

I threaded the pin holes with a blind 5x.8mm tap and inserted two bolts.

A piece of flat bar and two 12" crescent wrenches did the rest of the job.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Larry,

That's an elegant solution. Thank you. On your suggestion I've ordered a copy of Shop Class as Soulcraft.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

perfectwheels

#5: Post by perfectwheels »

P.S. On second thought I do not think the pin spanner I linked to will work.
L-

toddmp (original poster)

#6: Post by toddmp (original poster) »

Perfectwheels, thanks so much for the visual. I setup the same thing on my workbench but I just cannot get the flange to budge. It is frustrating the heck out of me!

It is currently soaking in penetrating oil again.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Have you tried giving it a few sharp taps around the rim to encourage penetration and loosen hard gaskets or crusty residue? Also wiping away excess oil and applying moderate heat could help.
Gary
LMWDP#308

civ

#8: Post by civ »

drgary wrote:That's an elegant solution.
Very elegant indeed.
Excellent. =-)
toddmp wrote: ...same thing on my workbench but I just cannot get the flange to budge.

To thread a blind hole is tricky enough and on top of that brass can deform easily.

Could it be that the tap or the screws have caused a bulging underneath where the holes are and that it this what is keeping the piece from turning by making pressure on the base?
Just a thought.

Cheers,

CIV

perfectwheels

#9: Post by perfectwheels »

The flange holes are actually drilled all the way through so it shouldn't exert too much pressure unless the bolts were screwed in tight against the base.

How much force are you able to exert? I used quite a bit...enough to bend the bolts slightly. I imagine one could screw in the bolt and then use a hammer and drift punch to tap it loose as well.

May the force be with you.

drgary wrote:On your suggestion I've ordered a copy of Shop Class as Soulcraft.
Excellent!

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

perfectwheels wrote: I imagine one could screw in the bolt and then use a hammer and drift punch to tap it loose as well.
That approach has worked for me, hammering the end of the wrench once you've made sure you've got a good insertion and grip.
Gary
LMWDP#308