Time for an upgrade

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
EddyQ

#1: Post by EddyQ »

It was 2016 when I picked up off Craigslist my first real espresso machine. 2003 La Pavoni Europiccola. This machine changed my normal daily coffee routine to another level. First Espresso

Tom Chips said: "We'll have you sold on a Slayer and a Monolith grinder next week."

Well, it was not quite a week. That was roasting. . . .

Just before the holidays I got a FB post by a local roaster who wanted to retire his Indrocompresso. This post came at a time when there was many posts here about commercial levers and I was yearning to upgrade for the past year.
Post such as this one was killing me: Taste preference - Pro 800, Bosco, Alex Leva, Londinium or Strega

But when I heard the asking price of this Indro, the ice caps expanded and froze all normal thought. :shock:

Then another month passed, over the holidays, I checked back with seller and it seemed he found a buyer and was waiting to finalize. :roll: But another week past and I got a message that said the deal fell though and it was back on the market.
Then I really screwed up. I visited the shop and pulled an espresso. . . . It was an nice Onyx coffee and dialed in very well. Nice and sweet, full of complexity and thick body. The shop was very busy and this machine looked brand new. It is a 2014, which I would have thought would have some wear on the portafilter or a wrench marked up nut somewhere. Nope. It is a beauty. BUT BIG! I was surprised how much bigger the unit is relative to a Speedster. I made an offer and it was immediately turned down. Sad, I had to go.

But I felt my offer was fair and eventually the seller came back with a counter and we finalized the deal. Wow! What did I just do! I must be completely nuts!

So, here is the thing. I have the space. New machines cost less, but also suffer depreciation right off the showroom. Sure, I likely could have flown over to Italy and bought a custom Bosco for less. But, I didn't.
There are a few things I wanted to improve. 1) Quicken my process of making multiple shots without degrading quality 2) Improve temperature stability 3) Simplify the process so my wife can pull shots 4) Increase steam power
And I wanted a simple lever machine with no IPad apps . . .

The Indro does all this and looks good too. Plus, it has a number of cool features. A foot operated steam wand. Just set the knob for right pressure and never touch it again. This should help my wife. The water spigot she will also like. Then, there is a timed group flush feature, which apparently will eliminate need for the typical HX flush after long waits. It has a throttled thermosyphon which should allow me to set one group hotter than the other. I can seem this being nice for dark and light roasts.
Time will tell how all these features work out. . . .

But I am not selling my LPE. I still very much like this machine due to how simple and ability to surf around with shots. But it does require a lot of fussing for every shot. And when you get a crowd of 15-20, it is an hour of making drinks.

Today, I finally got the correct water adapter. Pressurized the system, plugged her in and fired up the heaters. No significant leaks. Seems the left group has an occasional drip. Probably needs piston gaskets or perhaps being cold for so long the gasket hardened in the shrunken condition. I did inspect the boiler before filling it up. No white/gray scale, but was coated with a charcoal black. I filled with distilled water for a day, then drained. Right now, it is full of Rpavlis recipe water. 3 gallons of it!!

The first shot shows a second issue.

I may need a bigger cup!

I am also thinking the 21gm VST and original no name ridged baskets may need some partners. Something smaller and not ridged. But I also have my weekend work cut out for me relative to figuring out what temperatures are what, what is the volume of my shots ect. . . dialing in the perfect god shots! The fun stuff!!

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

:shock:

:mrgreen:

:o

That is all...

Balthazar_B

#3: Post by Balthazar_B »

You win the Nicest Toy Ever Prize! :)

If you're going to be pulling a range of roasts, look into the EPNW ridgeless baskets. FWIW, I found they worked better with medium-to-dark roasts on my lever than the VSTs I'd been using.

What kind of Monolith are you gonna get? :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

!!!!!!!!!!

:D :mrgreen: 8)

It's a wonderful work of art too.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

guydebord
Supporter

#5: Post by guydebord »

Damn! :shock:

Did you have the separate 220v circuit and plumbing/water filter ready? Or did you have to set it up? I can imagine setting this monster up must have been quite a task.

How much did you end up paying? Im really curious :mrgreen:
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

EddyQ

#6: Post by EddyQ »

Thanks all!
Balthazar_B wrote:If you're going to be pulling a range of roasts, look into the EPNW ridgeless baskets. FWIW, I found they worked better with medium-to-dark roasts on my lever than the VSTs I'd been using.
Yes, I think page 9 on link above has a pretty detailed discussion about EPNW baskets that has me convinced I should get myself a HQ 14 and 21 rimless.

I'm not going to say what I paid. But to get a idea, the previous owner has a Triple for sale as I type. BTW, equally as nice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kees-van-Der-W ... SwhYNeD~XX

Balthazar_B

#7: Post by Balthazar_B »

EddyQ wrote:Yes, I think page 9 on link above has a pretty detailed discussion about EPNW baskets that has me convinced I should get myself a HQ 14 and 21 rimless.
And if you're a wild and crazy guy, pick up a La Marzocco single basket and the proper funnel and tamper, which will take you places you've never dreamed of. ;)

There's a thread or two on H-B somewhere about this very thing.
- John

LMWDP # 577

EddyQ

#8: Post by EddyQ »

guydebord wrote:Did you have the separate 220v circuit and plumbing/water filter ready? Or did you have to set it up? I can imagine setting this monster up must have been quite a task.
I had to setup a water system and wire in 240V 20A outlet. Not too hard to do either. I already had a nice cabinet for holding the water and the 150lb machine. The delay I had was the water connection. I spent hours! The hose LOOKED like a standard braided water hose. Turns out it has a British pipe thread and I ordered a SS adapter from McMastercarr that did not work due to it needing a compression type seal, which the adaptor did not have and therefor leaked badly. But I modified it and it currently is working nicely. Next time, I would buy a plastic John Guest adaptor with BPT.

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

I'm very happy for you! A two group is not insane for a passionate home enthusiast, whereas the three group would be overkill.

If you paid less than what they went for when new, you probably won't see any depreciation. I think KVDW Idro is about the pinnacle of modern lever espresso and I think they'll hold their value or even appreciate in time.

Cheers to good espresso!

Chert
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Chert »

Jake_G wrote::shock:

:mrgreen:

:o

That is all...
I don't think I can say it (or anything about coffee) better than Jake.

+1
LMWDP #198