Time for an upgrade - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
guijan12

#11: Post by guijan12 »

Nice upgrade, from La Pavoni...... :lol:

I mean; wow!! :D :wink:
Regards,

Guido

Almico

#12: Post by Almico »

EddyQ wrote:Yes, I think page 9 on link above has a pretty detailed discussion about EPNW baskets that has me convinced I should get myself a HQ 14 and 21 rimless.

I'm not going to say what I paid. But to get a idea, the previous owner has a Triple for sale as I type. BTW, equally as nice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kees-van-Der-W ... SwhYNeD~XX
Basket size would depend on the group. My old VAAL had 40ml groups. My new one has 60ml. I still use 15g baskets and just pull the shots when the lever gets vertical.

That 3gr is awfully tempting. If all goes well Wednesday, and I get a favorable zoning variance determination, then I'll be opening a 2nd coffee bar. That machine would fit perfectly.

LObin

#13: Post by LObin »

There's also another on the bay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184139206920
LMWDP #592

Almico

#14: Post by Almico replying to LObin »

What are the odds?

bgn

#15: Post by bgn »

Just when I feel like I spend a ridiculous amount of money on my coffee hobby along comes someone who makes me feel like I'm very modest. Thank you! And I hope you enjoy that beauty in good health for many years.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#16: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

What a hero's journey. You'll inspire many!! Congratulations Eddy.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

cebseb

#17: Post by cebseb »

Fantastic. What a great score! Looking forward to your impressions in the next few weeks! Keep us all updated.

spressomon

#18: Post by spressomon »

Like your story: Really nice! I agree with others: A twin stick is not overkill for an espresso enthusiast. And it certainly has an advantage for pulling back-to-back shots without a big temp swing. If I went back into lever-ville, it would have to be a 2-lever machine.
No Espresso = Depresso

EddyQ (original poster)

#19: Post by EddyQ (original poster) »

Almico wrote:Basket size would depend on the group. My old VAAL had 40ml groups. My new one has 60ml. I still use 15g baskets and just pull the shots when the lever gets vertical.
This is currently my struggle. My shots are coming out 48-50gms! I'm filling my 20gm VST basket with 21gms and the brew ratio is still more than 2:1. I struggled with the LPE to get 30-32gm shots and 14-15gm dose was perfect.
So with this spring, you just pull away the cup when volume is where you want it to be?

My second issue is leakage around the basket. I plan to replace the group gaskets soon, but found my naked PF is worse than the spouted. Upon further investigation, it seems the naked PF isn't as flat as the spouted. Perhaps it was over tightened in the past? I plan to replace the gaskets and if this persists I may try flattening the PF by sanding on a very flat surface. Worst thing that could happen is I ruin it and need to buy another.
LMWDP #671

Balthazar_B

#20: Post by Balthazar_B »

EddyQ wrote: So with this spring, you just pull away the cup when volume is where you want it to be?
Exactly. Or you can measure shot weight with an appropriate scale. When you pull the cup depends on the weight of your grounds and your target shot ratio.
My second issue is leakage around the basket. I plan to replace the group gaskets soon, but found my naked PF is worse than the spouted. Upon further investigation, it seems the naked PF isn't as flat as the spouted. Perhaps it was over tightened in the past? I plan to replace the gaskets and if this persists I may try flattening the PF by sanding on a very flat surface. Worst thing that could happen is I ruin it and need to buy another.
Can you clarify "PF isn't as flat"? The basket's rim should be higher than the portafilter, and that's what the gasket engages (primarily). If you place your basket rim on a perfectly flat surface, is there any part of it that is off kilter? If not, it could be a sign that your PF gasket has become stiff or deformed -- these can happen if it's hard rubber -- and it isn't seating the basket's rim properly. You could try a silicone gasket from Cafelat to see if that works better with your various baskets. Replacing your piston seals won't cure a PF gasket leak (but would help in other ways if they're worn out).
- John

LMWDP # 577