Thoughts on the Nurri Leva

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Primacog

#1: Post by Primacog »

JB90068 wrote:You may be right. It took a bit for LM to offer the X1. In the meantime I'm getting more and more interested in the Nurri.
It appears likely thenthat kvdw has intentionally positioned his idro compresso as only a commercial machine and not intending it for the home espresso enthusiast market unless the latter is willing to buya double grouphead machine. This is a pity if that is the case because the machine has many innovative features. As you have mentioned however that isn't a total loss because machines lkke the nurri (and acs's vesuvius evo and upcoming vostok)are available in single group head configuration.

I have just received my nurri leva machine and am learning how to use its features currently. As far as I can gather from that video, the nurri can do everything that the idro compresso can do except being able to modify the spring pressure and except for that nifty safety design where kvdw elevated the grouphead and redesigned the locking to occur at a higher angle so that rhe risk of a lever uppercut is minimised.

The nurri has a shot timer, can flush the grouphead without using the lever, can discontinue the shot at any time independently of the lever handle, and can set and control the grouphead temperature separately from the steam and coffee boilers.

Apart from that, the pressure setting on the rotary pump on the nurri can be set at any particular level within the range of the pump for the preonfusion phase. Furthermore the pump can even be set to 9 bar and be used to make the entire shot without operari t the lever at all. In addition the group head can apparently be adjusted to turn off the auto switch on of the pump when the lever handle is dropped so that the preinfusion is then manually operated with tbe control flipper in order to perform a true blooming shot, as demonstrated by a member here in a video that he posted on the nurri thread.

I couldnt tell from the video if the idro uses a double spring or single spring grouphead but if it is the latter, then this will limit its pressure ceiling for extraction to 9 bar. The nurri uses the much appreciated LSM design of the double spring grouphead which not many lever machines have other than LSM, izzo, ACS, and nurri.
LMWDP #729

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Primacog wrote: I couldnt tell from the video if the idro uses a double spring or single spring grouphead but if it is the latter, then this will limit its pressure ceiling for extraction to 9 bar. The nurri uses the much appreciated LSM design of the double spring grouphead which not many lever machines have other than LSM, izzo, ACS, and nurri.
A dual spring set up is pretty common. Strega, Pro 800, Bosco multi group machines & others. The single spring typically peaks at or just below 8 bar, not 9. Having owned a dual spring lever I much prefer the shots from my single spring Sorrento. I know several LSM lever owners who have removed the inner spring and prefer the shots over the original set up.Since Kees machines are meant for commercial use I'd guess that he opted for the higher spring pressure. I believe that the original Idrocompresso was dual spring.
LMWDP 267

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by JB90068 »

Primacog wrote:I have just received my nurri leva machine and am learning how to use its features currently. As far as I can gather from that video, the nurri can do everything that the idro compresso can do except being able to modify the spring pressure and except for that nifty safety design where kvdw elevated the grouphead and redesigned the locking to occur at a higher angle so that rhe risk of a lever uppercut is minimised.
Thanks for this.
Once you spent some time with it, I hope you will post your thoughts about what you do and don't like about it on the Nurri thread.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Primacog (original poster)

#4: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:A dual spring set up is pretty common. Strega, Pro 800, Bosco multi group machines & others. The single spring typically peaks at or just below 8 bar, not 9. Having owned a dual spring lever I much prefer the shots from my single spring Sorrento. I know several LSM lever owners who have removed the inner spring and prefer the shots over the original set up.Since Kees machines are meant for commercial use I'd guess that he opted for the higher spring pressure. I believe that the original Idrocompresso was dual spring.
Thanks for the correction on the 9 bar max to 8 bar for single spring lever.

I didnt say that dual springs are only used by lsm, izzo, acs and nurri or that they are uncommon. I said "The nurri uses the much appreciated LSM design of the double spring grouphead..."

As for whether the taste of single spring is preferable to the dual spring, that is entirely subjective and depends on the user's preferences. For every lsm grouphead user who removed one of the two springs, there must be many more who never did so and still use the dual spring configuration...
LMWDP #729

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Actually you said "The nurri uses the much appreciated LSM design of the double spring grouphead which not many lever machines have other than LSM, izzo, ACS, and nurri." so it was hard to tell whether you thought the LSM group is rare or the dual spring set up.
LMWDP 267

#6: Post by Primacog (original poster) replying to JohnB. »

See the underlining and bold that I have added to my last post above to my original words which i hope help make it plain what I was saying...
LMWDP #729

#7: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

JB90068 wrote:Thanks for this.
Once you spent some time with it, I hope you will post your thoughts about what you do and don't like about it on the Nurri thread.
I dont know if they will be of any help to anyone else, but when I have figured how to use it for my own purposes sufficiently to my own satisfaction, I will put down my comments then.
LMWDP #729

Cuprajake

#8: Post by Cuprajake »

Really don't see the need in being able to stop the shot. Esp in a home environment.

All it does is introduced the need for back flushing and gives really sloppy pucks...

bostonbuzz

#9: Post by bostonbuzz »

The Nuri says there is no need for back flushing. I don't understand why not. Maybe the exhaust has its own port in the group head?

Does the kees?
LMWDP #353

#10: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

Hi Boston buzz

Where did you hear this from - did nurri himself tell you that his machine doesn't need to be backflushed?
LMWDP #729