Thoughts on the Nurri Leva - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cyclezib

#21: Post by cyclezib »

I am so happy with my Nurri Leva S.A. It makes syruppy, rich espresso consistently from cup to cup. I like the taste of my espresso so much better than what I was able to extract from my CT2 and then the Profitec Pro 800 I had previously.

Primacog (original poster)

#22: Post by Primacog (original poster) replying to cyclezib »

Same here cyclezib - I thought my previous lever an izzo pompei was the bee's knees but the nurri just makes everything about making better espresso and milk drinks easier. The ability to set the temperature of the grouphead and brew boiler to exactly what i want is definitely an ability I never want to be without in an espresso machine if I can help it. Has your machine gotten the same retrofits as my machine has just gotten?
LMWDP #729

Advertisement
cyclezib

#23: Post by cyclezib »

Baz:

My machine has the PID update and the dial (although I don't anticipate needing to change the pre-infusion pressure).

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by buckersss »

Cuprajake wrote:Really don't see the need in being able to stop the shot. Esp in a home environment.

All it does is introduced the need for back flushing and gives really sloppy pucks...
Isn't speed a reason?
Isn't improved safety another reason?

To me there does seem to be value to being able to stop the shot early. How much value, is the question.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#25: Post by baldheadracing »

I just move the cups away from the stream on my lever machines.

In cafés there is the possibility of an unsightly drip on a cup's rim - so a spoon can be used when the cup is pulled away. Another technique is to reduce pre-infusion time so the shots stop earlier.

However, being able to stop the shot mechanically does give more flexibility, reduces skill/attention needed, and, probably most importantly, reduces the number of groups needed for a given maximum hourly output.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

cyclezib

#26: Post by cyclezib »

To focus on whether you would stop the pressure on a shot or not isn't the point. Taste is the primary reason and the pressure profile of the Nurru produces a very tasty espresso. I only stop the shot on rare occassions. Mostly, I use my Nurri as I would other lever machines and let the excess drain into a drip cup. But the machine having this feature is nice.

I don't always drive my car on the most aggressive suspension setting. But when I want that feature it is fun to have it.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#27: Post by baldheadracing replying to cyclezib »

How does stopping the shot with the 3-way solenoid change the taste versus pulling the cup away?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement

#28: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

cyclezib wrote:Baz:

My machine has the PID update and the dial (although I don't anticipate needing to change the pre-infusion pressure).
Your machine got it from the outset already? Excellent!
LMWDP #729

#29: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:I just move the cups away from the stream on my lever machines.

In cafés there is the possibility of an unsightly drip on a cup's rim - so a spoon can be used when the cup is pulled away. Another technique is to reduce pre-infusion time so the shots stop earlier.

However, being able to stop the shot mechanically does give more flexibility, reduces skill/attention needed, and, probably most importantly, reduces the number of groups needed for a given maximum hourly output.
It's just a more elegant solution in terms of workflow. I hv always found yhe need to move the cup away etc especially with a scale underneath to be cumbersome. I used to move the cup.away with the izzo and swap a plastic box to catch rhe drip but with the nurri I always use the paddle to release the pressure and end the shot. U have to start using it to appreciate having that feature there.
LMWDP #729

#30: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:How does stopping the shot with the 3-way solenoid change the taste versus pulling the cup away?
I don't think there would be any diff in taste. The diff is in workflow.
LMWDP #729