Temperature gauge into the HX path of a Commercial Lever

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by FotonDrv »

Has anyone put a temperature gauge into the HX path to the group of the "Bosco Style" group?? I know it was not made by Bosco but since this is on a Londinium and they don't make the Group what would you call it?

I was thinking that the large nut on the neck of the group would be a good spot if it was drilled and tapped for a gauge.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

walt_in_hawaii

#2: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Interesting discussion but no one is chiming in... I've been perusing some of the brilliant posts of the build-it-from-scratch lever, and a post linked in that discussion about the horseshoe cooling loop in the Termozona hx? which looks to me like an Aurora but sadly does not appear to have been in production for very long. This lever fever is quite contagious, and I blame you all.

So, is your 'temp gauge into the HX path' theme in line with the above discussion? I thought immediately the same thing after reading about the horseshoe cooling loop... why not just get a modern HX lever, say a used Strega, and drill/tap into the diagonal HX and run a small loop externally? You could vary the path of the loop for various cooling and then be able to control the water temp independently, hopefully gaining the same shot profiles as an older Aurora... not too difficult to do, although it will ruin the looks of the machine.

aloha,
walt

desmodici

#3: Post by desmodici »

I like the idea, but interested to hear your thoughts on benefits/gains from measuring the temp in the HX.
I'm assuming the brew water is subjected to further temp changes as it enters the group and hits the puck, so it will be tough to use it to directly measure brew temp.
FotonDrv wrote:Has anyone put a temperature gauge into the HX path to the group of the "Bosco Style" group?? I know it was not made by Bosco but since this is on a Londinium and they don't make the Group what would you call it?

I was thinking that the large nut on the neck of the group would be a good spot if it was drilled and tapped for a gauge.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

FotonDrv (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

Tani, drilling and tapping that nut on the neck of the Group, before it gets to the front panel, is where some makers put restricters to control the flow of the HX and therefore control, the temps of the Group. That point is about as close to the HX /Group path as you can get easily. It is not for controlling the temp but for monitoring it.

By knowing that the water temp is then you can adjust, with the pstat and or inlet water pressure (if cold fed), to control shot temps. Without knowing the temps then tasting the shot to determine temps by flavor, SOUR to BITTER, is your temperature range control as it exists now. I don't know about you but my taster is not all that great and what happens to the bio-taster if you have a cold? Reading numbers seems far more reliable to me.

This is the nut to drill and tap since it does nothing in this Group but to plug a hole in the Groups neck.

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

Yaseen, measuring the temp in the HX is about as close to the Group sleeve as you can get without installing a probe into the shower screen, which I would think impractical. If you get a temp reading that you can monitor and manipulate with the pstat and the incoming water pressure then once you measure the temp with a Scace then you can reference all the other temps that you read on the gauge to the offset you might have between the Scace and the installed gauge. Does that make sense?

Markant

#6: Post by Markant »

Hi Stephen,

Always thought that the combination of a temp probe and the piston pressure kit (by Gabor) would be ideal for the "Condor" group (aka Bosco group). (The piston pressure kit is not available -yet- for this group).

New victim for measuring piston pressure: the BOSCO group

A temp probe in the nut at the neck, is second best I guess. Maybe it will be quite easy to modify the existing flow regulator for the dipper configuration of that group ?? nr 19 from

https://www.espressomachinendoctor.de/ ... _:488.html

M

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

Mark, as you might know Londinium (Fracino) puts their restrictors in the HX path in the form of a teflon disc with a small hole in it right at the top of the HX to pipe connection. I purchased some of these discs to experiment with and they indeed lower the temps of the Group but it still does not let the operator know what the temp actually is.

That nut behind the Group on the neck of the Group is a blank plug I think and soon I plan to remove it to check once I get a new nut to experiment with to install a temp gauge. If I don't sell the machine before I get around to all this :D

bettysnephew

#8: Post by bettysnephew »

Been following this thread even though it will not work with my Bosco Sorrento as it has the shut off valve going into the group. On my machine it is probably not a real advantage as I understand it to be used on multiple group machines to be able to service a group while the machine is left in operation by cutting off the water from the boiler.
FWIW this is what I contrived to monitor group temp on mine a while back. It is just held to the group with double sided velcro strap. I have since removed it as the thermometer did not have enough sensitivity to show 2°F variations on the surface of the group. It was worth a try but pretty much a failure as the surface of the group does not react quickly to flushes to adjust the temp. It would indicate longer term changes but again the scale is not conducive to small variations. I have considered placing a thermocouple on the group but so far have not done so.

BTW, the machine had been shut down for a bit which is why the group temp is low.

Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Markant

#9: Post by Markant »

FotonDrv wrote:Mark, as you might know Londinium (Fracino) puts their restrictors in the HX path in ....
Sure I know.... own my L1 version 1.0 from the beginning :-))
FotonDrv wrote: That nut behind the Group on the neck of the Group is a blank plug I think and soon I plan to remove it to check once I get a new nut to experiment with to install a temp gauge. If I don't sell the machine before I get around to all this :D
It is a blank. Don't forget that there is a 'special' copper washer under the nut that you might need to exchange if you remove (a few times) the nut.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv (original poster) »

Yes Mark, a new crush washer is necessary when that nut is removed.

Now, the big question has anyone seen a temperature gauge, analog dial is desirable, that would be small enough to fit into the space?

What Gabor is doing is interesting and one of his gauges might just work fine.