Taste preference - Pro 800, Bosco, Alex Leva, Londinium or Strega - Page 25

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#241: Post by espressotime »

I've been doing a portafilter wiggle before every shot for the last 8 years and that works great. Always a clean screen and ring.

silkypull

#242: Post by silkypull »

btw... for those of you that have the izzo alex leva, can you do me a favor and let me know the measurement? i try to find online but seems the measurement only for up to the lever and not to the warming tray.

as for the Espanzzola, i checked the website and seems they can't ship to USA. :( also the size they have is either 53-54 or 58mm. would the 53-54 work on the izzo grouphead?
LMWDP #663

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#243: Post by TenLayers »

I got mine from their website. Maybe it's all changed cuz of Covid?

belegnole

#244: Post by belegnole »

silkypull wrote:btw... for those of you that have the izzo alex leva, can you do me a favor and let me know the measurement? i try to find online but seems the measurement only for up to the lever and not to the warming tray.

as for the Espanzzola, i checked the website and seems they can't ship to USA. :( also the size they have is either 53-54 or 58mm. would the 53-54 work on the izzo grouphead?
Not the easiest thing to measure as the panels are curved, but here are my numbers. They may be a little off, but not much as I was eyeballing it.

Overall Depth: @18"
Overall Width: 14 1/4"
Height max of shelf: 21 7/8"
Height of Handle: 31 1/8"
Drip Tray: H 5" W 12" D 6 1/4"

and because sometime foot placement matters.. outside measurements of 15 1/2 x 11 1/2"
LMWDP #641

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#245: Post by JohnB. »

silkypull wrote:btw... for those of you that have the izzo alex leva, can you do me a favor and let me know the measurement? i try to find online but seems the measurement only for up to the lever and not to the warming tray.

I prefer a simple Pallo brush but Prima Coffee has the Espanzzola.
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/prot ... gLeyPD_BwE
LMWDP 267

silkypull

#246: Post by silkypull »

TenLayers wrote:I got mine from their website. Maybe it's all changed cuz of Covid?
yup that's what they mentioned on their site. :(
belegnole wrote:Not the easiest thing to measure as the panels are curved, but here are my numbers. They may be a little off, but not much as I was eyeballing it.
Overall Depth: @18"
Overall Width: 14 1/4"
Height max of shelf: 21 7/8"
Height of Handle: 31 1/8"
Drip Tray: H 5" W 12" D 6 1/4"
and because sometime foot placement matters.. outside measurements of 15 1/2 x 11 1/2"
Thank you David! this is helpful!~
JohnB. wrote:I prefer a simple Pallo brush but Prima Coffee has the Espanzzola.
https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/prot ... gLeyPD_BwE
Thanks John~
LMWDP #663

Coffeechap

#247: Post by Coffeechap »

It is so interesting that there is so little comparison. Of the LR against these other options. I have owned (not merely used for a while) the L1, bosco, Strega, izzo leva the LR (pressure switch) t
The LR with transducer and how the LR24.

The Strega felt a little toy like, tippy on the bench and poor build quality, it could pull a good shot when the stars aligned but without serious modification it is not in the same league as the other machines

The Bosco is a big beast with a big boiler, I enjoyed owning it but the build quality was rather agricultural, plus there were issues when letting the group idle for a long time, I found I had to do a substantial flush to raise the temp in the group.

The Alex leva was a nice machine I enjoyed owning that but I. The end the dipper design is the let down for me, capable machine though

The londinium L1 was a lovely machine, well built and super stable temperature in the group, however I found that I was wanting more out of lighter roasts and this machine although excellent at medium to dark roast coffee just did not cut it for me

The LR (I had one of the first ones with the pressure switch) suddenly opened up the flavours I was searching for in lighter roasts, however the pressure switch was frustrating as it was impractical to change the pressure and it failed a couple of times, Reiss replaces the switches without question.

The Pressure transducer that was added to the LR transformed how I could make coffee and the different options that I had at my finger tips. With this machine you can easily switch between roast levels and get the best out of everything

I have finally got the LR24 which is essential the same as the LR but with a super quiet pump, and app enabled adjustment to the pre infusion and pump settings. This machine was the one I had been hinting for and had given by far the best results in the cup over the other my other machines.

I have also restored some lovely old lever machines which are all capable of producing great coffee but they require much more care and are still limited with lighter roasts.

At the end of the day go with what you want. So many folk will give advice on the machine they own and are often biased (as I am I suppose with the Londiniun LR24)
levers levers levers, is there any other way?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#248: Post by JohnB. »

Coffeechap wrote:
The Bosco is a big beast with a big boiler, I enjoyed owning it but the build quality was rather agricultural, plus there were issues when letting the group idle for a long time, I found I had to do a substantial flush to raise the temp in the group.
Nonsense. The Bosco can idle all day long & hold the same 166*-167*f group temp in a mid 70*F room. Without a flush this produces shots with a peak temp of 198*f-199*f. If you want to raise the shot temp a quick 1-2 second flush will bring it up 1*-2*f. This has been verified numerous times with Scace testing unlike the temp claims on the L-R threads.
LMWDP 267

IamOiman
Team HB

#249: Post by IamOiman »

I have never had issues with the group being too cool from idling, at least little enough to not affect shot taste. Not sure what pressure you set the p-stat at but if it's a lighter roast I would think to use something higher than a dark/medium roast like 1.4-1.5 bar. I keep my p-stat at about 1.1-1.2 for the latter but I am not really an expert on light roasts so take my advice with a grain of salt.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

LuckyMark (original poster)

#250: Post by LuckyMark (original poster) »

Coffeechap wrote: The Alex leva was a nice machine I enjoyed owning that but I. The end the dipper design is the let down for me, capable machine though
Hello Coffeechap, thanks for sharing your opinions. Always interesting to hear about issues with any machinery.

I understand how difficult it is when English isn't your first language, so apologies for asking but can I ask what you mean when talking about the Alex? The end of the dipper has a problem? Thanks Mark