Taste preference - Pro 800, Bosco, Alex Leva, Londinium or Strega - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#11: Post by IamOiman »

I was in a similar boat as bettysnephew when selecting a machine, whether I would pick a Bosco or Profitec Pro 800. What swayed me over to the Bosco will not be the same case as other Bosco owners got due to my unique living situation. Basically it was a few hundred more for the Bosco with orange panels and wood handles than a Profitec for various reasons since I lived 20 minutes from Bosco's workshop in Naples.

One thing to keep in mind is the Profitec can be run on 15A while the Bosco needs the dedicated 20A circuit, though I can run my grinder on the same circuit since it does not run for long periods. The Profitec is a little smaller if you need something to fit in a smaller space and does not require a plumb-in. If not for the Bosco I would have purchased the Profitec. No matter what you will be buying a machine that is simple to upkeep and is very consistent in shot quality. You will be happy with either purchase.

The Alex Leva group is also used on the La San Marco 85, which I have had quite a few shots from in a local bar. I don't know why but compared to the Bosco the shots from the SM seem thicker in body. I use the exact same roast for reference, Saka Gran Bar.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

I've owned a Strega & have had a Bosco since 2015. No comparison IMO. The Bosco would be my choice over the other machines you listed also. Simplicity of use, build quality & the spring lever knowledge of the Bosco family incorporated into each machine set it apart from the rest.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

IamOiman wrote: One thing to keep in mind is the Profitec can be run on 15A while the Bosco needs the dedicated 20A circuit, though I can run my grinder on the same circuit since it does not run for long periods.
Australia is on a 230v grid so the Bosco would run on a 10A?? circuit??
LMWDP 267

IamOiman
Team HB

#14: Post by IamOiman replying to JohnB. »

When you think everywhere is on 110V while typing out a comment after some alcohol is in your system.... 8)
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

LuckyMark (original poster)

#15: Post by LuckyMark (original poster) »

John is 100% correct, Australia is 230V so almost all machines will run off a standard 10A plug. The only one which wont is the Londinium 1, at 2700w. Thanks for your thoughts John on the Bosco, there ius never a poor word spoken about them.

I am Oiman, have read both your Bosco thread and also your restoration threads, very interesting. Your comments on the LSM group versus the Bosco are interesting, any preference by you or just different?

IamOiman
Team HB

#16: Post by IamOiman »

The differences in shot output are not so great I would regret my Bosco, but they do exist. I think the La San Marco group (also used by Izzo) is a great and older group design. I would not have a preference between the groups, but they are both excellent choices. At least visually I think the LSM groups are cooler in looks with the exposed spring
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

andino

#17: Post by andino »

I think all are great choices! Really just comes down to which machines looks the best to you. I have an L-R and am very happy with it. But if you're planning to plumb the machine in, I do think you'd miss out on what makes the L-R special (adjustable pre-infusion with the rotary pump). Something like an L1 (pre-R) or the L1p would be a better fit for a plumb in application if you're interested in the Londinium lineup.
LMWDP #635

espressotime

#18: Post by espressotime »

The guy who owned all 4 of them should answer here.
I've owned Strega and Izzo Pompei..
They both make good coffee
The Bosco and Profitec probably also.
And they all look like a stainless box with a chromed group attached to them with a chromed handle sticking out.
If you ask me tastewise and "lookewise "they are all the same.

But using a Strega and Pompeii are two totally different things if you look at workflow.
I'd say get the biggest one you can fit on your counter.

LuckyMark (original poster)

#19: Post by LuckyMark (original poster) »

...espresso Time, notice you kept the Pompeii! Are you saying grab the biggest for looks, or another reason? I wouldn't mind a second hand Pompeii or Valchiria (couldn't afford new), quite like the looks, but assumed they all would taste the same as the Alex Leva as same internals. At the moment the Strega would be last on my list as prefer the simplicity of the others.

I have also dropped the Londinium from my list for the most personal of reasons. I love the great personal service offered, but also was worried if Reiss broke his leg, etc you could be without backup for some time. Also an interesting comment on an English forum, 'great service unless you have a personality clash with him'. Noticed there was a few strongly worded posts by him directed at other posters on that forum, admittedly some time ago. Further to my ANZAC comment to him, I realised I looked at the wrong page and he is still using it. His exact response to me when I told him was 'who knew'. I have seen posted he is actually a kiwi so grew up knowing what that means and the sacrifices made, which that holiday honours. So I am probably one who will have a personality conflict with him, the machine doesn't offer enough to me to ignore this disrespect to those who served. Others will feel differently.

I want to thank everyone who has posted so far, you are all helping me immensely narrow this down to the right choice for me.

espressotime

#20: Post by espressotime »

LuckyMark wrote:...espresso Time, notice you kept the Pompeii! Are you saying grab the biggest for looks, or another reason? I wouldn't mind a second hand Pompeii or Valchiria (couldn't afford new), quite like the looks, but assumed they all would taste the same as the Alex Leva as same internals. At the moment the Strega would be last on my list as prefer the simplicity of the others.

I have also dropped the Londinium from my list for the most personal of reasons. I love the great personal service offered, but also was worried if Reiss broke his leg, etc you could be without backup for some time. Also an interesting comment on an English forum, 'great service unless you have a personality clash with him'. Noticed there was a few strongly worded posts by him directed at other posters on that forum, admittedly some time ago. Further to my ANZAC comment to him, I realised I looked at the wrong page and he is still using it. His exact response to me when I told him was 'who knew'. I have seen posted he is actually a kiwi so grew up knowing what that means and the sacrifices made, which that holiday honours. So I am probably one who will have a personality conflict with him, the machine doesn't offer enough to me to ignore this disrespect to those who served. Others will feel differently.

I want to thank everyone who has posted, you are all helping me immensely narrow this down to the right choice for me.
I love the pompeii because it is heavy.It doesn 't move or anything when I pull the lever.Very often when talking to visitors in the kitchen I will lean on the locked in portafilter.It is sturdy.
Also I can put about 70 cups on the trays.That means i always have warm cups at hand.

With the Strega there was always a chance of flipping the whole machine to the front if I wasn't careful.

I've owned the Pompei for almost 7 years now.
And not one time has it missed a pull or did anything break down.
10 shots a day ( in the weekends more) for 7 years.That makes about 27500 shots .Not one miss.