Talk me out of a Bosco Sorrento - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CaptainAhab (original poster)

#51: Post by CaptainAhab (original poster) »

https://thelevermag.com/blogs/articles/ ... eva-review

"as we measured it to reach a noise level of 66 dB. Another thing that left us perplexed was a bending of the frame on the base"

I don't find myself clawing desperately for my wallet.
ribbon of darkness over me

baldheadracing
Team HB

#52: Post by baldheadracing »

That article was from 2021. From two months ago, at the bottom of the page:
The machine we reviewed was not a prototype but one of the first production units. The machine is on the market and on the current units some components have been changed and improved according to our review such as the feets, the grid of the drip tray and the overall structure of the machine.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
philosli

#53: Post by philosli »

Not convincing you to buy an ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva, but the frame-bending issue mentioned in the Lever magazine review was fixed a while back. Comparing to the unit being reviewed, mine comes with two extra rails at the bottom, where the feet are attached to. These should resolve the frame bending problem.
LMWDP #741

drgary
Team HB

#54: Post by drgary »

The temperature control issue is relative. It's not just big boiler/smaller boiler = stability/agility. My Conti Prestina has a 4l boiler. It's a dipper tube machine controlled by an external PID. It quickly responds to temperature changes entered into the PID. I've also got the option of partially filling the boiler. And although it's a plumb-in machine, it's fed by a FloJet pump and could easily attach to an external holding tank.

I'm not suggesting that you get a vintage Conti Prestina, but I wonder whether the Sorrento needs to be topped off to function correctly and whether it could be PID controlled, since its boiler isn't that much larger. Also only the OP would know about wanting to stay with one coffee or pull different coffees in the same session.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

espressotime

#55: Post by espressotime »

philosli wrote:I would love to have a Bosco, but I got an ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva.

Bosco is designed for cafe use. If you search Youtube about Naples cafes, you'll see those busy baristas pull shot after shot on levers in fast succession. These cafes usually stick to the same type of coffee. The machines have to have unlimited water supply, thus plumb-in is the only option. I can imagine the coffee machine's consistency and throughput are the most important considerations. So it's ok for these machines to take 1 hour to fully warm up, since the cafe staff will start preparation before the first customer is in. These machines don't need multiple temperature control units to allow experimentation for different coffee: once the grind setting and the brew temperature are dialed in for the current coffee, the baristas stick to the settings for a while.

According to James Hoffman in his book, the boiler of the espresso machines grows bigger and bigger over the years, because more and more people want milk drinks. So to cope with the demand the boilers grow in size.

Home baristas have quite different requirements that Bosco was not designed for. A 5L or 6L boiler is overkill for home use. A big boiler means the machine might be too big for many people's kitchen, and takes too long to warm up for a few cups of coffee. The rigid brew temperature control may frustrate the adventures of brewing different beans in a day.

The temperature stability of such commercial machines certainly is a plus, though.
Vintage machines had pretty sizeable boilers already.

drgary
Team HB

#56: Post by drgary »

How big is a Lambro boiler?

This brings me to another point that others have made. I bring my commercial lever into the rotation for awhile but then move to more energy-efficient gear for my modest espresso needs.
Gary
LMWDP#308

espressotime

#57: Post by espressotime replying to drgary »

Pretty much same size as that of my Pompeii.
Maybe a little smaller.
A big commercial lever makers no sense at all.
I own them because I like them.A Ponte Export consumes less power ,is ready in ten minuten ,is smaller and makes amazing drinks too.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#58: Post by drgary »

Dr. Google tells me the boiler size is 3.5l.
Gary
LMWDP#308

espressotime

#59: Post by espressotime replying to drgary »

Pretty big still.

Cuprajake

#60: Post by Cuprajake »

If the Sorrento is what you want buy it

All pumped machines will make noise of some sort, if your ready to plumb in, happy to leave on I say get it ordered.