Supply fittings for Aurora Brugnetti

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
kalo925

#1: Post by kalo925 »

So i was lucky to be able to purchase an Aurora Brugnetti lever machine recently. Can anyone tell me the fitting that I have here? I ordered a 3/8 BSPP female x 3/8 MIP/NPT adapter. After ordering I realized I needed a 3/8 British compression fitting to 3/8 MIP/NPT of some sort rather than the BSPP thread. I wanted to connect to the end of this long brass fitting to 3/8 NPT, which I'm assuming is some sort of constant pressure out fitting. The last photo has the adapter I ordered, but I feel like it is not a right/tight fit. Thanks for any help or advice!

kalo925 (original poster)

#2: Post by kalo925 (original poster) »

Good grief.. I just realized I could take that long fitting apart and discovered it's a check valve of some sort. Not at all what I was mistakenly hoping.. oops. So next question is what type of pressure regulator should I get for this machine?? And now today I'm thinking I likely should have some type of filtration or water conditioning system.. Or could I just rely on routine descaling? Back to the drawing board.. I'll take any advice anyone has though! :shock:

Also still would like to know what type of 3/8 British/italian compression fitting it is if anyone knows. :)

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
LObin

#3: Post by LObin »

First thing first: What!?! No way! Where did you find an Aurora Brugnetti?!?!? I'm soooo jalous!

What's the HX design on yours?

Sadly, I can't help you with your questions since, well, I don't own one! Cause they're next to impossible to find :lol:

Congrats!
LMWDP #592

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

There's all kinds of regulators available depending on how you plumb the machine. Watts is a common brand in the USA. I'd suggest an adjustable one. Common pressures are 40psi (2.75bar), 50psi (3.44 bar), and 1 to 1.2 bar (14.5psi-17.5psi). The lower pressures are what Victoria Arduino uses in their Athena Leva (also an HX) as they claim that gives a creamier espresso than 40psi-50psi. My guess is that is due to the coarser grind that goes with the lower pre-infusion pressure. I'm currently running 50psi in my Brugnetti clone as that is what the manufacturer recommended.

As for filtration, it really depends on the chemical characteristics of your water supply. If you get a copy of your municipality's water report, then folks can advise you in the Water forum here.

Congrats on the machine!

#5: Post by kalo925 (original poster) »

LObin wrote:First thing first: What!?! No way! Where did you find an Aurora Brugnetti?!?!? I'm soooo jalous!

What's the HX design on yours?

Congrats!
Thank you! Horseshoe Hx around 1978. I found it advertised, realized I needed to move fast, negotiated and drove 7 hours the next day. Near Reno. Spent two nights at Lake Tahoe and, well, let's say the trip was very good!

baldheadracing wrote:Congrats on the machine!
Thank you very much!

Every day I'm studying new info for hours. Today studying springs and finally happened on https://lapera.ca/the-rite-of-spring/ Very good to read. Deciding on a new spring or not might be a few weeks away though. Mine is degraded some, but seems ok for now. Looks like the new Lapera spring would be the best option, so looked around for spare parts.. haha.. nothing yet. ;) I did find one spring @ 127mm, 44mm OD and rate of 65 online. Might be a bit too powerful though, like was said for the 133mm, 63 rate spring that was used a lot.

I decided the new 3/8 F BSPP fitting adapter I ordered would be fine with that 3/8 male out from that check valve. Threw a 3mm o-ring inside and some Teflon tape and all was well. Hooked everything up and fired the machine up to full temp. Took about 70 minutes to get to there. Since I don't have a pressure regulator yet I tried to throttle the washing machine supply line valve a bit. Ground beans a few steps finer on my Jx-pro than I do for the Cremina. Loaded up 15 grams and went for it! Well after about 6 seconds a drip and let the handle go. Had some water seeping out around the top of the basket. It's possible the supply water pressure was a bit high and grind a bit too fine as the shot time seemed very long. Might have had to do with the seepage. Taste was ok but given everything wasn't expecting even ok. Yesterday took off the grouphead and pulled out the filter gasket to measure before ordering a new one.. rock hard. A few new parts ordered and might try to remove the spring and disassemble all the group/lever parts for cleaning and new lube while waiting. I should be painting my house... oops. :lol:

Have been studying water and did download my city's water quality data a few days ago. I need to decide what to do for water conditioning. None of the reasonable cost options seem perfect. Wondering if I could just go with unconditioned water and a constant pressure out inline pressure regulator for a while until I understand everything better. I also don't mind taking my time to get the Aurora ready and have a 81 Cremina to use.

This info is helpful to understand some ideas. Need a water solution advice (high chlorides)

I just began thinking if the spring is old and maybe a little worn out that really effects what your supply pressure should be maybe. If supply pressure is high your grind should be finer and that's not great if your spring isn't strong enough. Not sure my thinking is right though.

I need some way to measure the supply pressure now.. Will check the water forum. Haven't even dropped in there yet.

Going to paint this old built-in area grey and make a little coffee cabinet for the Aurora. Water, elec, drain just behind. Have done several videos, Need to decide if good enough to post to youtube.

Brugnetti clone? Seems like that's Lapera.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

kalo925 wrote:... Seems the new Lapra spring would be the best option, so looked around for spare parts.. haha.. nothing yet. ;)
It looks like Thomas removed his email from lapera.ca but you can contact him through his Instagram @laperacoffeemachines

I'm sure that he'll have a spring - and it looks like you need a group cap as well?
kalo925 wrote:... Brugnetti clone? Seems like that's Lapra.
:wink:

#7: Post by kalo925 (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote: I'm sure that he'll have a spring - and it looks like you need a group cap as well?
Have the group cap, just didn't make it in to any photos I've taken yet. Strange thing is there are no screw holes for the cap in that lever mounting support plate above the spring. Must be a replacement. That would be very cool if I could try to get the right spring. Thanks!

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
samuellaw178
Team HB

#8: Post by samuellaw178 »

Congrats on finding the Aurora, you'll love it, it's my favourite lever!

For the plumbing fitting, you might be looking at 1/2" BST, at least according to the older Aurora thread posted by Mischa. Lucky for me when I had my Aurora, she had all the neccesary adapter/connector so it was a hook-and-go for me, so not much help there sorry. (I moved my Aurora on last year to accommodate a different machine and regreted it since - the Aurora was the only machine that's been in my rotation for this long). If you have a caliper it's also possible to measure and compare against the measurements on Google to figure out what fitting it is.

I was running my Aurora off a flojet-like pump and had experimented with different pressures, as low as 1 bar ish to about 2.7 bar (40 psi) and 3.4 bar (50 psi). Don't think the pressure is too critical (it changes the puck saturation rate and I generally prefer higher pressure), but 2.7 bar (40psi) works about right for me most of the time (with 50psi you get a bit quicker of puck saturation, but 40psi is plenty fast). Of course it also depends on your water supply pressure, there's not too much you can do if your inlet pressure is lower than 40psi and using a 50psi wouldn't matter in that case.

Whatever pressure regulator you go with, one thing I could recommend is to add some sort of mesh behind the shower screen (some of the recently talked puck screen at 54 mm might just do the trick), that will create a more even water flow at the shower screen, which can help you get great shots right off the bat (due to the high inlet pressure so there is a tendency for the water spray to be uneven especially if the shower screen has been replaced with a non-original one).

You should have no problem finding most of the parts I think. I posted some information on the spare part (post #7) many years ago (my god, has it been that long). I also compiled a part list with part number and can flick it off if you need it.

As for your spring, I would suggest maybe leave it in and give it a try (ie don't assume it needs replacing). I swapped my old spring with a new replacement spring but the new one was pulling at around 10 bar. So eventually I had to put the old one back in as I much prefer my original one which pulled at 7 bar (doesn't flex the group either).

Congrats and good luck getting her up and running!

#9: Post by kalo925 (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:Whatever pressure regulator you go with, one thing I could recommend is to add some sort of mesh behind the shower screen (some of the recently talked puck screen at 54 mm might just do the trick), that will create a more even water flow at the shower screen, which can help you get great shots right off the bat (due to the high inlet pressure so there is a tendency for the water spray to be uneven especially if the shower screen has been replaced with a non-original one).

You should have no problem finding most of the parts I think. I posted some information on the spare part (post #7) many years ago (my god, has it been that long). I also compiled a part list with part number and can flick it off if you need it.

As for your spring, I would suggest maybe leave it in and give it a try (ie don't assume it needs replacing). I swapped my old spring with a new replacement spring but the new one was pulling at around 10 bar. So eventually I had to put the old one back in as I much prefer my original one which pulled at 7 bar (doesn't flex the group either).

Congrats and good luck getting her up and running!
Thank you and thanks for all your previous posts. I'm sure I've read most of them. And the parts post was very helpful!

Yesterday I ordered some gaskets, new safety valve, anti vacuum valve from EspressoParts and right now I have the head/boiler gasket in a basket at CafeParts. They also have this mesh screen I was thinking of adding to the order. https://www.cafeparts.com/Shower-%C3%98 ... duct/13137 Do you think it would be ok above the shower screen? I think my machine might have the original. It was a little banged up with a couple outward dents in it but I hammered them out and It looks pretty good. When I was doing my one test run the spray looked fairly good and gentle really (not sure what supply pressure I was at). There was a little flow I noticed from the sides of the shower screen. Those gaps between the shower screen claws seem like they would allow water to come out there. I was definitely thinking the shower screen should be pushed up as tight as possible so the group cylinder makes contact to limit that potential water coming out between those claws. (also my claws are not exactly even). Could a 1, 1.5 mm viton o-ring be put inside the shower screen? Also the piston was protruding quite a lot below the bottom edge of the cylinder. I assume it should be just exactly flush?

Understand about the spring. The link I posted above at Lapera.cn on Thomas's method for deciding on specs for his spring is very interesting and helpful. Will be good to get my spring off to measure it's free length and see how it stacks up.

samuellaw178
Team HB

#10: Post by samuellaw178 »

kalo925 wrote: They also have this mesh screen I was thinking of adding to the order. https://www.cafeparts.com/Shower-%C3%98 ... duct/13137 Do you think it would be ok above the shower screen?
It actually sounds like you may not have a problem with your screen/water distribution. I don't think water leaking past the side/claws is that severe of an issue nor is detrimental to the shot (I have not tried adding o-ring as I was tackling a different issue). In my case, with the aftermarket shower screen I had, I noticed there was always a spot on the shower screen where water tends to come off first and did so with some ferocity (if I don't tamp hard enough that can create a slight dent in the puck). That's because as the piston is moving up and is partially uncovering the water inlet hole, it creates a water jet (a partially covered small orifice + high inlet pressure = high speed water jet) that shoots diagonally down the puck. So a mesh screen that can dampen and even out the water distribution was very helpful for me (and other Aurora users I spoke to).

I didn't get to try the screen that you linked, but I did try a similar shower screen that I salvaged from a Gaggia machine (stainless steel plate with perforated holes and a center screw hole). It didn't work quite as well as a true mesh (with multilayer pores, closer to the puck screen I mention), at least for my case.
kalo925 wrote: Also the piston was protruding quite a lot below the bottom edge of the cylinder.
I am guessing your piston wasn't screwed in completely to the piston rod (assuming our machines are the same). Mine certainly did not protrude down and the piston sat about 0.5mm above the lips (below). You might have come across this video I made too? Pardon the horrible quality/lighting :oops: