Sudden spike in steam pressure on La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Hillel

#1: Post by Hillel »

Hey everyone,

I am a little lost and confused here. Two days ago, my steaming pressure went from being able to create beautiful microfoam in say 35 seconds, to it becoming suddenly super charged and steaming in 10-15 seconds. My routine does not change, so I am sure that something happened within the machine that I am clearly unaware of. A man told me that my pressure stat may have gotten clogged up or dirty, as he had steaming pressure issues when he had the problem. But do Europiccolas even have pressure stats? It's as if my machine became the hulk and is going bananas.

Here are my blogs, sites, so you can see that I do have experience making beautiful microfoam.

Http://www.instagram.com/lowinthesky
Http://www.chronicledlatteart.tumblr.com

I am neither handy nor mechanically savvy. Please help.

Thank you,
Hillel

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Hillel wrote: But do Europiccolas even have pressure stats?
The older Europiccoli did not. But newer (mid 90's and later) ones do, and the easy way to tell is to look at the switch. If it's a single red switch over a green light, like this:

then your machine does have a pressurestat.

Cleaning a clogged pressurestat typically involves descaling the boiler, and also removing the pressurestat to deal with clogs in the pipe connecting the boiler to the pressurestat.

To adjust it you'll need a pressure gauge, and typically folks rig one up that attaches to the steam wand. Some of them can be a little tricky to adjust because they are glued at the factory.

Sometimes the pressurestat is defective and must be replaced.

None of these is a major challenge, but unless you're handy you may want to take it in for service or recruit some help.

For more explicit help you should provide more info:
Is your switch like the one pictured?
If so, do you observe the green light going off and on periodically after the machine is fully hot?
Do you notice any hissing out the safety valve when the machine is fully hot?
If you empty the boiler and shine a light in there do you see whitish deposits on and around the heater coils and bottom of the boiler?

Also, if you remove the base and provide a good picture of your pressurestat (it's the thing attached to a copper tube beneath the boiler) it may be more clear whether or not you have one that is difficult to adjust.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Hillel (original poster)

#3: Post by Hillel (original poster) »

Hey thank you for your help. I have only one red switch to turn it on and off. When I get back home will send you pictures. Would that mean that I indeed have an older Europiccola?

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Hillel wrote: I have only one red switch to turn it on and off. When I get back home will send you pictures. Would that mean that I indeed have an older Europiccola?
And below the red switch you have a green light, as in the pic posted earlier? If so, you have a newer one with a pressurestat.

The prior version without the pressurestat had a lighted red on/off switch above an unlit white I/II switch, like this:
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h