Strietman CT1: My Impressions - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dhou
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by dhou »

Hi All,

Joined the Strietman family about 4 weeks ago and having a ball using it!

A general question for those that have the unit:

When I first received the CT1, the portafilter locked on extremely smoothly, so smooth that it was basically a one handed operation that didn't require me to steady the unit in any way. Over the past 4 weeks, it has gotten progressively harder to lock the PF in to the point where I have to use significant force to lock it in.

I've taken the piston out, lubed it with Molykote 111, cleaned the shower screen etc. and everything looks good.

Has anyone run into this and do I basically need to grease the interface?

John49

#42: Post by John49 »

When I lock in and remove the portafilter I need a finger on the front edge of the base to resist the torque applied.

Advertisement
dhou
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by dhou replying to John49 »

That is how things were when I first got the CT1 but definitely not possible today. I've never read about anyone needing to grease it or anything...

erik82

#44: Post by erik82 »

Just rub the upper surface of the portafilter with a dishwasher brush for a couple of seconds and it'll lock in again like it is new. I do this once every other week and it slides in very easily.

The portafilter is untreated brass and water will leave a small film on the top which raises the filterbasket just slightly and make it harder to put in. You can also just hold the base with one finger and slide it in.

dhou
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by dhou replying to erik82 »

Thanks for the suggestion! I have this issue even when the filterbasket is not in the portafilter, but I will give this a try also.

erik82

#46: Post by erik82 »

With the filterbasket out of the portafilter you should be able to wiggle it a bit and it should move freely with more than enough room. Best to send an email to Wouter.

IMAWriter (original poster)

#47: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to erik82 »

Yes,without a bsket it's VERY loose. I can wiggle it up and down a bit. Maybe the group screen and gasket have been dislodged a bit?

Advertisement
dhou
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by dhou replying to IMAWriter »

Wow really? I definitely do NOT have any wiggle room... I'll take a peek under - I did take the group screen out to clean it when I greased the gaskets. Perhaps something moved at that point?

I did write Wouter as suggested and he wrote back saying that the "rubber seals can be tight when new". I don't think that's the case as when I initially got the unit, I remember it feeling quite loose as well!

erik82

#49: Post by erik82 »

I think it's only half way clicked on the group and jams on one side due to that. It needs to make a click when it's in place. Just take it out again and try refitting it. Even when new it should have room to wiggle without the filterbaket in the portafilter.

dhou
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by dhou replying to erik82 »

Took out the screen, checked on the gasket - even with the screen out, still tight without filterbasket. Not sure what else to try... only other suggestion from Wouter was a little grease on the group.