Strietman Countertop Model Coming - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
[creative nickname]
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by [creative nickname] »

That's an attractive design, and it looks like it would be quite stable during a hard pull. I like the way the drip tray integrates into the base; unlike a lot of classic home levers, which generally require you to pry up a small lip from a hot base, and risk spills after just a few shots & flushes, it looks like it would be quite easy to remove to drain and clean in the sink.
LMWDP #435

FotonDrv

#22: Post by FotonDrv »

I think it is a good design that has refinements over the wall models.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Marcelnl »

Bluecold wrote:The pricing of Strietman is relevant to Strietman and I stated that your explanation for the high prices is not sufficient. I never came to the conclusion Strietmans margins were high just that his product wasn't designed for a high productivity workforce. Which is a choice of the designer, but adds up to an expensive product when made in a first world country. You made it seem as if it's impossible to make affordable stuff here, which is plainly untrue. You can verify that yourself if you go outside the city centers.
My my I really have to get out of town apparently, isn't that a tad belittling :roll:
i was merely pointing out that I do not have an issue with the pricing and stated some reasons for that, most definitely not all reasons as Strietmans pricing is his alone.

I like the design of this one much more than of the wall models, think he can expect to make a few batches of this model!
LMWDP #483

yakster
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster »

Maybe we can split off the discussion on production of goods, economics, and pricing to another thread, or maybe just send it to /dev/null. I quite like the looks of the Countertop model.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#25: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Let's keep the discussion focused on the machine, not the economics of manufacturing in the Netherlands.

kwantfm

#26: Post by kwantfm »

If pricing is similar to the wall mounted unit then it looks like I'll get one of these.
LMWDP #602

aecletec

#27: Post by aecletec »

Bluecold wrote:<snip>

In any case regarding taste, I saw the Strietman today at the Amsterdam Coffee Festival and it was a really slick thing in reality and the coffee pulled (Bocca, ground with a Mazzer Mini) was really quite excellent, even after I had a lot of coffee already. Also I can't imagine a device so simple and basic being not barista-limited. Also, I talked to him (friendly, forthcoming guy) and he said he was currently doing 50-piece batches of the ES 3.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
pootoogoo

#28: Post by pootoogoo »

I didn't want to create a buzz, I really appreciate Streitman's work and contribution to the world of espresso (keeping alive the idea of high-quality, long-lasting materials to a simple way of producing espresso). It's just that when the price is close to Bezzera's, or to some extent, Londinium lever (and when you can get a Caravel for ~200€)... it's not surprising that the ES machines production stays low.
If 2000$ was nothing for me, I would definitely encourage Streitman. Sorry, but economics are also an important part of machines success. I may have another idea of what espresso means. Sorry. :roll:

donn

#29: Post by donn »

pootoogoo wrote:I may have another idea of what espresso means.
Well, there's "expedited" ("express line"), "pressed out" ("expressed"), and "specific" ("expressly") - I think last time I looked, conventional wisdom was that the name of our favorite beverage comes from the last of these, that it's produced expressly for the consumer, where in conventional brewing you make a pot for all and serve several consumers from that pot.

Ha ha. Anyway ... I'm surprised price is any issue. If my machine were to fail in the near future, and I went looking for a new machine, I'd be looking at stuff in the $1000 - $2000 range. (Or I might find something great at a garage sale, but come on, that isn't relevant.) Maybe a Pontevecchio for less than $1000. The price I see online here for an ES3 is $1500 - really pretty competitive with high end lever machines. Is it a high end lever machine? According to what I read, it makes pretty good espresso, and its construction is robust and of very high quality, so I'd expect it to be at least as reliable as the competition. That's all I ask.

If I buy one and use it for many years, then I will forget what I paid for it. Like my little Nuova Simonelli grinder - can't remember at all what I paid, after so many years of faithfully doing a good job grinding so much coffee. That's really the question: not whether its price per pound is a poor value or something, but whether I'll still be using it every day 5 years from now. What makes something a truly poor value is when it turns out not to be what you wanted, or unreliable junk that you have to send off to the landfill. I'm pretty sure the latter is not a problem with the Strietman line!, but I'll be interested to follow users' stories to get a better idea about the former.

pootoogoo

#30: Post by pootoogoo »

Well, I must admit I totally agree... the important thing is to be happy with what you paid for. Euro is going down, I guess that's good. :wink:
Arduino invented the wall machine in the 20s... I'm sure it wasn't 2000$ at that time.
In my freaking mind, the idea of e x presso/espresso was to bring everybody the best of coffee as fast as possible at a reasonable price.
That was a long time ago.