Steaming milk with Olympia Cremina 67 from 74 - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mrgnomer

#11: Post by mrgnomer »

My 1974 67 Cremina came with a three hole tip. The Cremina wand looks like it has a bigger inside diameter than the Europiccola. The Cremina tip holes look more down angled than the out angled Europiccola. The steam out of the Cremina tends to be drier and not as sand blast peel your skin off pressurized like the Europiccola. Compared to the steaming power of my Strega the Cremina feels more gentle and frothing takes a bit longer to come to temperature. Micro foam is easier to spin in with the Cremina and there's more forgiveness if you get bubbles and easier to steam them out compared to the Europiccola.

Not a great picture but you can kind of make out the holes.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

mrgnomer

#12: Post by mrgnomer »

A pull of Kimbo with my Cremina 67 and a frothing for a latte. Not the best pull or art but it's a good example of the micro foam you get.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

bigmic63 (original poster)

#13: Post by bigmic63 (original poster) »

Thanks for that explanation and demonstration, the result looks great and is what I hope to achieve.

Jasper_8137

#14: Post by Jasper_8137 »

I struggled with steaming with my cremina. Fortunately, the newer steam wands with interchangeable tips fit on older machines. I purchased mine from cerini and use it with a single hole tip. If you do find it difficult to steam with the original tip, this is always an option.

bigmic63 (original poster)

#15: Post by bigmic63 (original poster) »

That's the point why I opend this thread.
The interchangeable wands do not fit on the older models with the valve showing straight forward, only with the ones pointing slantingly upwards.
So this is not an option for me.

Dev

#16: Post by Dev »

You could experiment by jamming a toothpick in one or more of the holes and break it off so the fibers remain. It is reversible.
Even though I have replaced my steam wand with the new version and bought a single hole tip its still not the greatest for art but it's ok. I found it is the shape and size of milk pitcher that makes all the difference.

Jasper_8137

#17: Post by Jasper_8137 »

bigmic63 wrote:That's the point why I opend this thread.
The interchangeable wands do not fit on the older models with the valve showing straight forward, only with the ones pointing slantingly upwards.
So this is not an option for me.
My error - I thought they were all interchangeable as both my cremini and Club are the same. The toothpick suggestion would work as well.

kalo925

#18: Post by kalo925 »

Had two cappuccino this morning, one steamed with Motta pitcher as usual lately, for the second decided to try the original brown plastic pitcher. Have to say the plastic pitcher produced much better micro foam using the same angles and techniques. Unfortunately don't have a photo (hard to notice anyway) or video, but it sure was noticeably better. The swirling action just seemed to capture and incorporate the bubbles better. Tells me the pitcher and swirling action it gives is so important. The Motta pitcher is going in to retirement. 8)

kalo925

#19: Post by kalo925 »

Dev wrote:. I found it is the shape and size of milk pitcher that makes all the difference.
Just saw this. Exactly what I found out today. Remarkable difference when I used a pitcher that had a different shape and allowed better swirling.

Dev

#20: Post by Dev replying to kalo925 »

I tried so many pitchers and continue to try different ones from Amazon but none of them come close to this one. It was recommended to me by a friend who also found this to be the best for his machine. I think for the amount of milk added and the size of the circumference makes it a perfect match for the amount of steam to swirl the milk just right.

https://www.amazon.com/Espresso-Stainle ... C73&sr=8-6