Steaming assistance on Olympia Cremina

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
shawndo

#1: Post by shawndo »

I am new to a steam wand and am just finally learning how to do this. I've been getting a lot of big bubbles, which makes me thing I should stretch less, but temp-wise and stretching volume makes me thing I am stretching the right amount of time.
I have tried a few wand combinations
- Original '83 wand
- New wand replacement
- New wand + adapter + foam knife tip (current)
I know its supposedly harder to learn by doing smaller amounts of milk, but that is what I am trying to learn. This is a 12oz motta pitcher.

Please critique:
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by cpreston »

I have the same setup- foam knife w adapter on Cremina. I like it, seems a bit better than my stock ( late model) wand.

Re video, I hold tip adjacent to side of pitcher to get fast rolling foam. You are placing it more inboard than I do. Looks like you get more turbulence and less rolling that way.

Also I was taught to practice using palm of hand to sense temp. Surprisingly accurate, and only need thermometer once in a while to check accuracy.

shawndo (original poster)

#3: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

I can use my hand for the first temp transition at 100F, but I guess I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to sensing the stopping temperature. My regular judgement is that it is too hot at around 130F-135F.
so I started using the thermometer and only use it when I'm just about ready to stop.

cpreston wrote:ILooks like you get more turbulence and less rolling that way.
OK, this is new. I didn't realize there was a difference between rolling and turbulence. I'll try that.

Patagent

#4: Post by Patagent »

I have the foam knife on a Cremina and love it. I've used both 12 oz Motta and 10 oz Frieling pitchers with good results. With the 10 oz, steaming 2-3 ounces of milk is pretty easy. I have not tried small amounts with the Motta.

My preferred method is as follows.

I start out by tilting the pitcher towards me and away from the group. The pitcher is positioned so that the tip of the foam knife is slightly submerged and nearly touching the inner wall. I let the milk steam in this position for 5-10 seconds depending on the amount of milk. Once I see a good amount of microfoam (but not too much), I'll start the rolling process by moving the pitcher so that the foam knife tip is more or less at the center of the pitcher. I'll see a vortex within a few seconds. I hold this position until the pitcher reaches a desired temperature.

Kellyk

#5: Post by Kellyk »

shawndo wrote:I can use my hand for the first temp transition at 100F, but I guess I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to sensing the stopping temperature. My regular judgement is that it is too hot at around 130F-135F.
so I started using the thermometer and only use it when I'm just about ready to stop.

OK, this is new. I didn't realize there was a difference between rolling and turbulence. I'll try that.
The rolling breaks the bubbles and turbulence just makes more.

#6: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

OK, second try, closer to the wall. It was rolling pretty heavy that it looked like it would go over the rim of the side for a few seconds. a couple drops did shoot out.

bakafish

#7: Post by bakafish »

shawndo wrote: - New wand + adapter + foam knife tip (current)
I also use this setup and tried many many times with my 350ml pitcher and 120ml milk. Finally I adjust the steam wand to this angle and tilt the pitcher toward right to match the steam wand and position the tip near the inner wall when steaming. This angle came from the steam angle of a toothpicks plugged 4 holes steam tip.

#8: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

bakafish wrote:position the tip near the inner wall when steaming .
OK, I think I am missing some basic vocabulary here.
Two of you have referred to the "inner wall" but I'm not sure where that is. Does that mean the side of the pitcher closer to the group or the side closer to me or something else?

bakafish

#9: Post by bakafish replying to shawndo »

Just like your video in #6. I used to place the tip at 4 o'clock position.

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by samuellaw178 »

What pstat setting are you currently at? I had at one point struggled with a Cremina 4 hole tips - looking back, I think it's the pressure setting (0.6-0.8bar if I recall correctly). (scrap that, my memory is failing me at such young age :oops: )I have never been able to get great microfoam with that low of the setting (except with 1 hole tip) even if the milk seem to roll well.