Steaming assistance on Olympia Cremina - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
shawndo (original poster)

#21: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

I vaguely remember reading that the persistence of the art is somehow related to the quality of the microfoam. was that true?

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

jontyc

#22: Post by jontyc »

That looks heaps better. That turbulence you had in the first video I find leads to a very inconsistent effective tip depth, too low and too high. That results in that deeper sound indicative of big bubbles, rather than the tssst, tssst like you hear in Reiss' vid.

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#23: Post by drgary »

Reiss, his arms wide!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#24: Post by shawndo (original poster) replying to drgary »

I just found this phrasebook heh http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Tamarian_language

so this would be "shawndo, his eyes opened!"

Kafa74

#25: Post by Kafa74 »

This is what works for me.

I have a Cremina '67 from 1987 with the new wand version

Very important:

New Cremina wand
Pitcher: Motta 8.5-floz / 25-cl if you're making one cap. Before that I had a 12oz pitcher that didn't work great.
Type of milk. For those who live in US I had the best results with Horizon Organic Whole Milk. 1 or 2% which is mainly water doesn't work.

drgary
Team HB

#26: Post by drgary »

Hmmm. I have a 1987 Cremina with the old wand, and it works well. A lot of this is practicing of technique.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#27: Post by shawndo (original poster) »

In general I have a tendency to first throw money at a problem. Then after i realize its actually technique, I already have all the nice upgraded stuff!
I could probably go back to the original wand at this point, but the foam knife is pretty cool.

Advertisement
Kafa74

#28: Post by Kafa74 »

drgary wrote:Hmmm. I have a 1987 Cremina with the old wand, and it works well. A lot of this is practicing of technique.
Probably but our machines or wands could also be a bit different. I had the old wand for about a year with decent results but not up to par with commercial machine microfoam. Now I'm 95% there and not planning to upgrade to the Sproline Knife with adapter or the LynWeber solution. Just sharing what works for me.

vberch

#29: Post by vberch »

Shawn, the second video definitely looks better. What I do is I adjust the frothing wand to the left, same as Ken (bakafish), plug three holes with toothpicks, use a 12oz Motta pitcher, fill it less than half way before the line, keep the frothing tip on top of milk during the stretching phase and submerge it about an inch during the mixing phase.

I get consistently wonderful milk.

I am going to make a video over the weekend and post it here. Threat Mischa's machine well! :)
shawndo wrote:microfoam is definitely getting better. Art on the other hand.... it's a spider!

The main changes I've done since last time was the vertical rolling thing and I'm using whole UHT parmalat instead of the local,organic,hippie milk.

<image>

salcangeloso

#30: Post by salcangeloso »

Super helpful thread everyone - been working through a number of these issues myself.

Anyone have a good explainer on plugging the Cremina steam tip with toothpicks? This was all I could find (Plugging Olympia Cremina steam wands holes?) and it wasn't clear how they would stay in place or how long they would be good for.
HG One / '85 Cremina / Thor 49mm tamper