Steam wand knob holder replacement

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I cant seem to get the trick of putting that roll pin back in even with the tools so I am looking for another method to fasten it.

I was thinking of trying to find a dowel that is a close fit but not sure it could work. Anyone else find a different method?
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

mwynne

#2: Post by mwynne »

On my europiccola I tapped through the knob and the shaft with a 4mm tap and use a headless screw through both to secure.
LMWDP #673

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Interesting. Got a pic of it?

My hope is to find a dowel with just the right amount of snug and hope it stays in place. Lol. But failing that I am open to anything that works without destruction.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

mwynne

#4: Post by mwynne »

I don't have a photo of installed on hand, but hopefully these make sense. I ran the tap through the first side of the knob into the empty center, backed it out a little, put the knob on the shaft, gently located the hole, tapped through the shaft and the second side of the knob. Using a bolt that's long enough to reach through the shaft and both sides of the brass insert is best for stability (doesn't have to go all the way through both side of the knob). Should work on the knobs without the brass inserts too, I would think. Any 4mm bolt will work, I just like the fully inset headless one because it's clean. 4mm tap is easy because the existing holes are well sized for it, no additional drilling needed.

A dowel of some sort would probably work, but if it's too oversized I'd be nervous about cracking the knob.

LMWDP #673