Spring lever video

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
peacecup

#1: Post by peacecup » Mar 28, 2007, 12:55 pm

Inspired by a combination of factors, including a new (second hand) shot glass, a new bag of Heritage Cafe Espresso, a recent publication in an obscure fish ecology journal, and the distant rumblings of spring in Alaska, I sacrificed my AM macchiato for a straight shot, I got this little video clip. Even at the estimated 6 bars of pressure under which the vintage Export spring pulls (when unassisted), one need not forego all thoughts of crema:

[gvideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=3[/gvideo]

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

bill

#2: Post by bill » Mar 28, 2007, 9:48 pm

Wow! Not too shabby. I'm jealous.
Bill
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

Arto

#3: Post by Arto » Mar 29, 2007, 12:43 pm

Seems to be a nice shot.

Thanks for posting. Videos are always interesting.
LMWDP #103

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup » Mar 29, 2007, 1:24 pm

Bill,

That was the first shot I pulled with the new bag of coffee - I backed the PeDe off <1/4 turn from the older, darker roast I was using, and voila. The roast was only 48 hr old, so it had a high "crema factor", but overall the little Export is capable of highly replicable results, and most shots look just like that. As the coffee ages the crema becomes less exuberant. This is what I love so much about the whole hand-grinder/Export setup - its very easy to see the effects of a change in any one variable (grind/dose/tamp/beans) if one holds all others constant.

PC
LMWDP #049

Dogshot

#5: Post by Dogshot » Mar 29, 2007, 2:40 pm

Inspiring shot - it got me immediately hungry to go get one for myself, which I did :D .

I notice a few differences between your shot and Timmo's shot posted on his Lusso thread, and left a few comments there. I would be very interested in your thoughts re: your style of shot versus the kind Timmo is pulling.

Mark
LMWDP #106

peacecup

#6: Post by peacecup » Mar 29, 2007, 4:30 pm

A three-pull shot for comparison. The line is 1.0 oz. I'm a little rusty on these- you can see evidence of blonding at the end - but its definitely possible to get good 1.5 oz shots. I'll need to read over the comparison questions you asked, and get back on that later.

«missing video»

Life is good!

PC
LMWDP #049