Spring lever video - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
roastaroma

#41: Post by roastaroma »

I'm lovin' those lever videos, too! Keep 'em coming!

Re Mark's curiosity about multi-pull shots: After spending the past year with the PV Lusso, I'm now convinced of the value of "vertical thumping" to settle the grounds in the double basket before tamping. I'm talking about vertical compaction, not side-tapping. Boy, that 45 mm basket can hold a lot when you pack it that way!

The effect on the shot is profound: most of the first pull becomes the pre-infusion, and the second pull is where you start getting the real volume. You could even go for a third pull, if it feels right. Thick, syrupy pours, no blondies, twisties, or squirters! Me likee!

Ciao,
Wayne
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

ziobeege_72

#42: Post by ziobeege_72 »

roastaroma wrote:Re Mark's curiosity about multi-pull shots: After spending the past year with the PV Lusso, I'm now convinced of the value of "vertical thumping" to settle the grounds in the double basket before tamping. I'm talking about vertical compaction, not side-tapping. Boy, that 45 mm basket can hold a lot when you pack it that way!
That is what I do as well - a couple of taps to help properly fill that deep basket. Outstanding results, although still trying to nail the single basket which is proving more miss than hit.

icurays1

#43: Post by icurays1 »

hey everyone! just got my new grinder (kyocera) and have been playing around with my Export. Here's a video of a shot from this morning:

enjoy!

peacecup (original poster)

#44: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

I'm glad this thread is still alive. Its good to see others' techniques, and enjoy their enthusiasm. Its been a few years since the original post, and I'm enjoying my lever machines more than ever. After a week in the city, I returned to pull some shots on the miniGaggia yesterday, and they we so sweet.

Someone mentioned the single basket - on the PV singles can be very rewarding, but they are quite small. They do take a little more practice!

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Peppi

#45: Post by Peppi »

I finally got around to upload this. one more will follow soon.
This shot was a double with about 14g of coffee from a local roaster. The shot was a bit slow
and the preinfusion was a bit short so I pushed the lever a bit to increase pressure.
It actually gives quite a nice, full body.
Right now I got the machine taken apart once again to adress some issues with the kettle.

Bluecold

#46: Post by Bluecold »

Although I fe-ar this post is redundant as I already posted it here, it is a spring lever video and therefore should be here.
That's how I make espresso, including cleanup afterwards.
Was a bit hasty taking out the PF, so there was a bit more cleanup than usual with my trusty microfibre cloth.

De Eenhoorn-Colombia El Progreso
Faema MC
La Peppina
Dealextreme scale
DIY tamper.

I grind while counting in my head, I brush the chute, I give it a short pulse push out everything I shoved back in the grind chamber by brushing and then empty the doser. then I check my weight and adjust for that. Do this often enough and you'll get a feel for the timing. In the video, I was off for 0.7 gram, this doesn't happen frequently. All in all, I don't waste much. If I overgrind for half a gram, I just let it sit in the doser for the next shot. I can't notice half a gram of stale grounds in a 14 gram shot. Every morning I give the grinder a short pulse to clear everything after a night of staling.

Total waste is maybe a gram per shot, depending on how many shots I make on a day. More shots => less waste.

I like this video. It's nice and short. If I explain people how I make espresso, they look puzzled that it's such a hassle, but in reality, it takes less than two minutes _total_. It makes me look like less of a geek :D
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

espressotime

#47: Post by espressotime »

Sunday morning cappu for the misses.
Since she has a taste disorder I let the water run through the puck in 10 seconds. :mrgreen:
Blow some bubbles in the milk and continue the repairs on my Solex moped. :mrgreen:

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r156 ... 01-105.mp4