SPRING Lever Espresso Machine types - defined - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
RistrettoCapp (original poster)

#11: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) »

Primacog wrote:I assume you are referring to single group spring levers that home enthusiasts would be interested in.
For my purposes, yes. But my question was more in relation to the types and implementations of lever groupheads, whether spring or manual... I'm just not interested in learning about manual variants personally... so titled is for 'spring' to narrow it down, if it even does.
Those classifications you have proposed seem to me to be ways in which an espresso machine's temperature is regulated or controlled (or not) and as daveyb mentioned, are not specific to lever machines but can be applicable to pump machines as well. Thus they wouldn't be as useful as a means to classify different types of spring levers in my opinion.
Understood.
It seems to me that one useful way to differentiate between different kinds of home spring levers can be to divide them into traditional non-grouphead temperature and/or preinfusion pressure adjustable designs, and on the other hand, more contemporary grouphead temperature adjustable and/or preinfusion adjustable designs. Those parameters enable the machines to be able to be adjusted more easily to suit lighter roasts.
Now that I'm understanding SOME of the lever group types and the various implementations, this is where my head logically goes.. which implementation, or modification of implementation, provides the most stable/adjustable temp ranges.
Within the first category are the vast majority of spring levers such as vintage levers and such modern machines as izzo pompei and Alex, profited pro 800 (its PID can only control the temperature of the boiler and not the grouphead directly and separately) etc.
Interesting and good to know. I thought the Prof 800 would have fallen in the latter category.. interesting.
In the second category can be divided into two sub categories- the first where only the preinfusion pressure can be directly manipulated and the second where both the preinfusion pressure and the grouphead temperature xan be independently manipulated. As far as i can recall, the Londinium R24 may be the only representative of the first subcategory thta I am aware of, while the second sub category has the LM LEVA X single group machine, the acs vesuvius evo, and the Nurri L-type SA Machine. There is also an upcoming commercial oriented machine from acs called the vostok that will also be available in single group format. While the LM LEVA X controls the grouphead temp through having a saturated grouphead, both the vesuvius evo (and vostok) and the Nurri use cartridge heaters to independently heat up the grouphead which can be controlled through the PID. The vesuvius evo uses a gear pump to control the preinfusion pressure while the nurri uses a rotary pump to do so.
Wow, good info.. thank you for that!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by yakster »

There were also open boiler spring levers where the water in the kettle is heated only to brew temperatures or only slightly higher and the kettle is not pressurized. These would be the FE-AR La Peppina and it's cousin the Conti Comocafe.

The temperature stability makes it easy to pull shot after shot, but you give up (mostly) steaming capabilities.

Edited to add, these are gravity feed machines with the kettle above the group and the piston upside down in a cylinder compared to other machines.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Primacog

#13: Post by Primacog »

RistrettoCapp wrote:
Now that I'm understanding SOME of the lever group types and the various implementations, this is where my head logically goes.. which implementation, or modification of implementation, provides the most stable/adjustable temp ranges.

In that case, in my view there is no contest if you evaluate from that parameter. The best no-compromise solution to provide the most stable AND adjustable temperature ranges are the machines in the second sub category that I mentioned - the LM LEVA X, the acs vesuvius evo or vostok, and the nurri L-type SA lever machines.
LMWDP #729

Primacog

#14: Post by Primacog »

There is one more spring lever that fits in the same last subcategory but that wouldn't normally be considered by home enthusiasts as it is designed as a commercial machine and is thus not available in a single grouphead configuration- the kees van der westen slim Jim idrocompresso. The cost of this machine in 2 grpuphead configuratioj would be even more than for the LM LEVA X.
LMWDP #729

Cuprajake

#15: Post by Cuprajake »

Yeah double digit thousands :shock:

Amberale

#16: Post by Amberale »

All of this research and evaluation is helping me justify my latest order no end.

ACS Vostok one group hopefully will also fit that group of suggestion.

AA :)

poison

#17: Post by poison »

Nice thread, exactly what I needed to read.

Kaffee Bitte

#18: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Bezzera Strega is definitely a spring lever. Manual levers are only on home machines. I don't think any commercial espresso machines were ever manual levers. Wish someone made one that was.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

#19: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) replying to Kaffee Bitte »

Thank you for catching that! Correction made.

#20: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) »

Thank you to everyone who contributed/ responded to the thread. I'm hopeful the info will be helpful for users in the future as we all strive to learn more about the options available to to, so we can make an educated decision when we purchase.