Spring Lever Curious - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mwynne (original poster)

#31: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

I think I'll set up some surreptitious searches and just casually keep an eye out. Have to say that converting electric stuff is beyond my comfort and skill though.
LMWDP #673

Jasper_8137

#32: Post by Jasper_8137 replying to mwynne »

You don't have to do any conversation if you don't want to. I've been running my club on a step up converter without any issues, but it is one more thing needed that takes up counter space.

Advertisement
jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#33: Post by jwCrema »

mwynne wrote:Oh I'd probably get some custom wood handles and a matching wood knob to replace the eagle ;)

I do have to say, one thing I like about my Pavoni is having the steam knob on the left and the steam wand on the right - it looks a little bit awkward on the MCAL.

Hmmm, maybe I'll set up some searches for both of those...
My beloved dog, Mike Wilson, (no relation), found an antler shed while we were hiking. He reluctantly handed it over and we made a horn handle for the MCAL's portafilter. Aside from the aesthetics, the long horn provides superb leverage.

sonnylowe

#34: Post by sonnylowe »

Jasper_8137 wrote:There is this club for sale...

video

It is pricey though but maybe they'd take less. Regarding converting it to 110v, finding a heating element proved to be difficult, however Jack (jwcrema) was able to convince Gabor to make us some, which work well. You can also use a step up converter which works just fine.
I also had Gabor make me a 110 element for my club, it fits perfect and works incredibly well. Johnny at Cerini Coffee also sells one that works, however it is round (spiral) element not flat like the original, so the water must be maintained at a bit higher level than the low point on the site glass. I just marked the glass with a sharpie as an indicator while I was using it while waiting for my Gabor element.
LMWDP #597

LObin

#35: Post by LObin replying to sonnylowe »

I purchased a similar round 110v element (la spaziale?) 2 years ago when I sold my club to a buddy of mine.
It wasn't that expensive and also an easy swap up. I converted a 20a 110v switch in my kitchen to 220v when I first got my club. The extra steam power and wider range of available machines is quite nice.

@mwynne If you do land a club one day, don't worry. They're about as easy as it gets to restore and perform routine maintenance. Converting it to 110v doesn't require any electrical skills. Simply a heating element swap. Plenty of folks and topics to help out if ever.
LMWDP #592

tifoso in queens

#36: Post by tifoso in queens »

There have been quite a few Clubs on the Swiss site Ricardo.ch in the past four or five months. Some are fully restored, others in need of work. Here is an example:

https://www.ricardo.ch/it/a/1112235844? ... rce=211_it

You must create an account to bid, which requires verifying your mailing address through the post. It takes a few weeks.