Spring lever and lighter roasts - leveling up - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
espressotime

#11: Post by espressotime »

DenisSabou wrote:I hope I dont offend you but that is far from anything light. And we like what we like, that's okay, it's just on my scale that would be a heavy medium espresso roast.
How do you know the roast of the beans? Don' t tell me by the colour of the crema.

DenisSabou

#12: Post by DenisSabou »

You can order a bag of this, pretty sure you can find it local as he has it in some coffee shops. Make sure it's the filter roast if he has an espresso or filter roast.

Then tell us how it went. Us, people have different ranges of light, same as spicy levels that people can handle. Some people call super spicy something that is mild for others. When this happens I like to point out an example on what a light coffee is.

This one is a light one, it's not the lightest but it's light:

https://www.amatterofconcrete.com/produ ... ee/filter/

espressotime

#13: Post by espressotime replying to DenisSabou »

You're saying I should go for the filter option even if I only pull espresso's?
I despice too much souer in coffee. but am always willing to give something a try.

NelisB

#14: Post by NelisB »

I have been buying filter roasts the last couple of months. From DAK, Manhattan, Friedhats. And I also had some beautiful roasts from Denis himself. With low temp (86⁰C, low pressure (7 bar max) and SSP LU burrs on 300 rpm) I can get extractions without sourness. And with a nice juicy body. Mainly the lower temp makes a lot of difference. I never got these extractions on my Lambro.

jpaulm

#15: Post by jpaulm »

With low temp (86⁰C, low pressure (7 bar max) and SSP LU burrs on 300 rpm) I can get extractions without sourness. And with a nice juicy body. Mainly the lower temp makes a lot of difference.
So I wonder if someone can help me understand this. It's not the first time that I've heard someone say that lower pressure and temperature are preferred for light roasts. Shouldn't lighter roasts be more difficult to extract properly? And therefore wouldn't a higher pressure and temperature assist in doing that? At the same time, shouldn't darker roasts release their compounds more easily? Therefore lower pressure and temperature would be preferable for them? It's just that, intuitively, the recommendation above seems the opposite of what I would expect.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

It comes down to - there is no "extract properly."

A lower temperature will extract less acids, which could lead to a tastier shot.

On the other hand, one might want that acidity, in which case a higher temperature will extract more of that acidity.

I'm simplifying quite a bit, but as a sweeping generalization ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jpaulm

#17: Post by jpaulm »

May be very coffee dependent then? Along with individual taste preferences.

Cuprajake

#18: Post by Cuprajake »

Also machine depending too

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

NelisB wrote:I have been buying filter roasts the last couple of months. From DAK, Manhattan, Friedhats. And I also had some beautiful roasts from Denis himself. With low temp (86⁰C, low pressure (7 bar max) and SSP LU burrs on 300 rpm) I can get extractions without sourness. And with a nice juicy body. Mainly the lower temp makes a lot of difference. I never got these extractions on my Lambro.
What machine are you using, and why not the Lambro? 86C is the lowest temp I can pull on my Conti Prestina. I'm even tempted to experiment with the Robot with fine grind and low dose.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

NelisB

#20: Post by NelisB replying to drgary »

I am using a ACS Vesuvius Evo Leva. The Lambro hits the coffee with 100⁰C/212F. With that temperature you will dissolve nasty substances from light roasts. With a longer roast those substances have undergone a (chemical) process that changed the taste. Anyways, this is how I see it.