Spring Lever accidents

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
El_hondero

#1: Post by El_hondero »

So far I have accidentally let slipped my bezzera strega lever twice already , either because I wasn't paying attention or my hands were wet .
Luckily my face was out of the way.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had similar accidents ?
Did your machine suffer any damage ?

ira
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by ira »

When I was first bringing my Rancilio home I didn't realize the levers unscrewed and just left them flat for the ride home. as we were carrying it in the house we realized the levers had to be raised to fit through the door. I tried to say to my wife to grab the lever and hold on for dear life, but she just bumped the first one enough for it to snap up. While scary as all get out, that thing could kill someone, it would appear at least on my machine that it's designed to handle that without failure.

Ira

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

This is why we are foregoing ever owning a lever. Too many guests, too many kids and then there's us...
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

TallDan

#4: Post by TallDan »

While I don't own a lever machine, it seems much more likely that someone would injure themselves with a knife than an espresso machine.

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by TenLayers »

To me it just seems a non issue. Maybe because I use a lot of power tools on a daily basis and am constantly on vigil for a tiny lapse of awareness of what I'm doing. Hold on, pull down. Done.

ira
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by ira »

I'm not worried about it any more, but seeing what can happen sure makes me think every time I pull those levers.

Ira

John49

#7: Post by John49 »

The title should read Spring lever accidents

El_hondero (original poster)

#8: Post by El_hondero (original poster) » replying to John49 »

Whoops sorry!

espressotime

#9: Post by espressotime »

I just burned my nutsack because I accidentally switched spouts on my porta's
The single one pointed towards the back.

15 minutes ago I wanted to pull a shot and when I flushed the portafilter .... well you can imagine what happened.
Grind,rake ,tamp and enjoy a great espresso.( by F. G.)

patrickff

#10: Post by patrickff »

Impatient me did not wait long enough for the pressure to go down and had a big portafilter sneeze. Needless to say, the wall has now a nice sprinkled finish.