Snagged a Gaggia Tell 2 Group!

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#1: Post by IamOiman »

Hi LMWDP chaps,

I am moving back to the US this year from Italy, so I have been keeping my eye open for potential final deals. I remember discussing some time ago that Gaggias can be had for very cheap in Italy in Lever Espresso Machine Gallery. Last week, someone posted a Gaggia Tell for 300 euro in Avellino, which is about 30-40 minutes from where I live. With some assistance I was able to negotiate a price of 175 euro (~$200) due to the missing drip tray. However, I believe everything else is present. I am very excited as this will be my first restoration build and want to learn how to repair all parts of a lever machine for the future! However this will probably not occur for a few months when I come back as I have no workspace in the tiny apartment. I will have a whole basement and garage to lay claim to in the US!

My poor mother will be picking up this behemouth, though she is using this as an excuse to visit the town again with some friends :lol:
I will need to thank her at some point.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by pizzaman383 »

very cool!
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

That missing drip tray will be a bit of a trick to find all of the parts for it. There is the actual tray, the top grid insert, and the hand nut that holds the actual tray onto the drain plumbing. A single group restoration: https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/gagg ... en.109856/

That will make a very nice restoration project.

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Thanks. I wonder if I could buy a Gaggia 2 group TD drip tray. https://www.espressounderground.co.uk/T ... ga3594.htm
Would that fit the Tell 2 Group?

That thread you sent me is very helpful, thank you. I can't wait to get started!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

That is just the grill, easy to fab up locally. That one should fit the original tray though. The trick will be to find the actual tray that fits under the grill. May be a custom made part in the end. The physical size of the tray and grill have to be the first thing to figure out as the tray sits down into the frame and under the front upright while the sides and front curves out to cover the frame and support the tray. The actual tray is only about 3/8" deep at the edges and a bit dished down to the drain plumbing and is a fairly heavy weight stamped out part. As many of these machines that still exist it should be easy to find the real parts somewhere over there.

Stateside ther are multiple sources for perforated stainless steel in many patterns which can supply a custom grill at a reasonable cost.

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Ryan, this one belongs in the bragging rights thread.

Bragging Rights Thread: Great Coffee Gear Scores!

As far as replacing the drip grate goes, since the Tell isn't rare, you don't have to completely replicate it. I had fun modifying a drip grate from a different machine and use that to this day.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Team HB

#7: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Ryan, this one belongs in the bragging rights thread.

Bragging Rights Thread: Great Coffee Gear Scores!

As far as replacing the drip grate goes, since the Tell isn't rare, you don't have to completely replicate it. I had fun modifying a drip grate from a different machine and use that to this day.
Definitely. I am pretty happy of all the pieces that could be missing it was the drip tray. Imagine if a Group was missing!
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#8: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I bet I could get this to fit since it is very similar to the Tell
https://www.espressounderground.co.uk/E ... ga3591.htm
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#9: Post by OldNuc »

I would be turning the Italian boot upside down and beating on the heel looking for that drip tray and the attached plumbing before leaving. The top grate is a simple fix but the entire sub piece is more difficult to fab up in the back room.

Check the measurements on the possible replacements.

Team HB

#10: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Oh yes for sure. I have multiple contacts I will be pestering for parts before leaving for a cheaper price and easier access, ranging from my Bar friend to Saka Caffe
-Ryan
LMWDP #612