Snagged a Gaggia Tell 2 Group! - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

Also a drip tray is easy to substitute since it is hidden anyway. I acquired a stainless steel bread tray that serves as my Prestina's drip tray. Obviously you would need something larger.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#12: Post by OldNuc »

I don't know if you have considered the issue of the import tariff on espresso machines but commercial espresso machines from Italy are considered restaurant equipment and enter duty free. There is an official revenue ruling on this subject and careful googling will pull up the number so you can use it if needed. I had the number but have managed to lose it again.

I would think being able to get connections for the parts you will eventually need should be simple as you are on the ground in the home country for them.

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#13: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I discussed this briefly with Roberta and Bosco. For tariffs they informed me they usually did not see a customs fee if the person purchased the machine outside international shipping costs and any fees assosciated with that. Since I will be shipping from US address to US address I will not need to pay a customs fee as it will never go through customs. Also, since my machine will be in the US, I will not need to pay VAT for the Bosco I have as long as I have proof it is in the US within a year of purchase.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#14: Post by OldNuc »

Yes, both of those machines are considered commercial machines. As long as any custom deceleration states commercial coffee machine or commercial espresso machine it should be fine as customs is aware of the ruling. And if you are shipping US to US it never sees customs.

stuartmac

#15: Post by stuartmac »

Does it have gas as well? I see a few extra knobs there.

Team HB

#16: Post by IamOiman (original poster) replying to stuartmac »

Yes it is also gas powered. From left to right on the base of the machine:

Manual water knob
Gas line
Main Power switch
Hot Water Knob
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#17: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

In my research for finding the schematics of the machine, I stumbled across a pdf of a gaggia machine lever labelled "C70." Here is a non-identifying sample image from this document (I will not post all of it in case of copyright stuff). It labels all the parts in this document as well, and can anybody confirm if this is the schematic for the grouphead used in the Tell?

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#18: Post by OldNuc »

That is a bit later machine and the group seals and spacer are a revised-newer assembly. These links show what is likely to be in those groups. The TELL is an earlier machine than the C70 I believe.

Gaggia lever group in parts
Gaggia Orione gasket stack
Gaggia Tipo America 1960 2 Group Lever Rebuild

Team HB

#19: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I have been in contact with Enrico Maltoni on sourcing parts/schematics for the machine. He claims it is not a Gaggia Tell, but a model LL. When I try to look more on this type I cannot seem to find anything online. Does anyone know what he is referring to? Would this change any of the internal parts of the lever (ie would this still use the old design or updated design)? He also notes the missing drip tray :shock:

Edit: He has responded again and said it is a model LL after closer inspection. He sent me a nice image of one.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#20: Post by OldNuc »

Somewhere there are Gaggia catalogs but they do not seem to be on the internet. There were multiple model numbers and then the common name. That machine you have and the picture are commonly refereed to as TEL but the actual model should be on the tag and is likely different. These are questions I would also like to have the answer to just out of curiosity. See if you can get an estimate of the production year. I suspect it is earlier than the early/mid 70s TEL machines. What is in the group could be just about anything. Those links to the V seals and brass expanders fit in all of the Italian production machines and they last for near forever.