Slow pull - 1 minute - excellent? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by LBIespresso »

hege wrote:Never pour a shot in the sink without tasting it :wink:
If it's not great when you taste it try adding some hot water. It might be better as an americano.

Worst case you can add milk and sugar and give it to a family member that doesn't understand your crazy coffee habits :wink:
LMWDP #580

boren

#12: Post by boren »

In my experience, 25 seconds shots are usually not great and it's not clear know why this time is so popular. Longer shots, even 1 minute+ have a higher chance of turning out great. I usually aim for the 35 to 40 second range.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
walr00s
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by walr00s »

boren wrote:In my experience, 25 seconds shots are usually not great and it's not clear know why this time is so popular.
People want different things from their coffee. When I pull my parents shots, I aim for 6s preinfusion 25-30s total shot time. It comes out tasting like the inside of a whiskey barrel to me...the barrel part of it not the whiskey part. They bring their own beans, a dark roast La Colombe. They also vacation in Italy every year (pre-COVID days anyway), and tell me the coffee that I make for them is very similar to what they get in the small coffee shop outside of Florence that they frequent. They like this coffee far more than the fruity light roasts that I prefer, and slightly more than the Keurig they drink most days. Think it's all subjective once it comes to taste tbh.

Simon Olesen

#14: Post by Simon Olesen »

espressed wrote:As part of learning how to use my La Pavoni Europiccola I have occasionally ended up with too fine a grind and/or too hard a tamp.

Today was 15g at 50 seconds with high pressure on the lever, and it was an amazing shot.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Yeah I think a little bit like it, I started using potassium bicarbonate(not soda) to re-mineralize preboiled water and it has been pretty amazing how much it consistently widens the window for good espresso.

Before I used to need fresh (unboiled and very hard) water for longer shots, but the problem is with time the hardness drops out as limescale and even before then it would be hard to manage because the solubility of CaCO3 depends on extra CO2 in order to remain in solution, and that CO2 offgasses rapidly at normal pressure, and even more so at temperature making the ph rather alkaline temporarily and the result pretty bitter.

8.2 PH which is the best of all carbonates, fantastic solubility above 200g/ltr at temperature, 0 chloride ions and really pleasant taste in general and unlike calcium and sodium carbonates it wont change PH because of changing boiler temperature (offgassing CO2 in the boiler) making good coffee a lot more predictable and the harsh extremes of sour and bitter shots less possible.

That said with enough Potassium bicarbonate it can get a bit flat lol with most if not all sour notes stifled but still not able to really taste the salt which is a shame. So yeah grinding a bit finer and extracting slower now and it's awesome.

tompoland
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by tompoland »

Almico wrote:My best shot to date was from my LaPavoni Pro. My 1,000 worst shots were from the same machine.
Pulling shots with my La Pavoni is so much like playing golf. I get one great shot out of 72 and that has me back again for another round of punishment the very next day.

coffee_Me

#16: Post by coffee_Me »

With lever machine, I feel like both time and bitterness are out of the equation as long as ground is fine enough and pressure is under control.
My longest Italian blend espresso shot is ~7 mins, it looks like a cup of oil, but still super tasty. :shock: :shock: Since then no rules applied alrd. :twisted:

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by LBIespresso »

coffee_Me wrote:My longest Italian blend espresso shot is ~7 mins, it looks like a cup of oil, but still super tasty. :shock: :shock: Since then no rules applied alrd. :twisted:
I have had some shots that took so long i was sure they would be awful and were actually pretty damn good.

As a rule of thumb: With a lever, I never sink a shot without tasting it first.
LMWDP #580

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
jackdaddy

#18: Post by jackdaddy »

I second this rule of thumb, though I've have regretted following through with it on more than a few occasions :?
Jack
LMWDP #698

Rustic39

#19: Post by Rustic39 »

With my Elektra Mcal, I've started disregarding a pre-conceived pre-infusion time, and now let the puck tell me when it wants to start the pull while watching the naked portafilter for the pre-infusion to fully soak the complete puck. By doing this I have all but eliminated spritzers and am able to gain usable feedback on dialing in while still usually getting a decent shot. Today I started a new SO I roasted to city+. The dose and tamp were a wee bit greater than ideal; my target time of 10 seconds pre-infusion went over, 20 seconds zilch, 30 seconds nada, 40 seconds and I'm starting to hope I don't choke, 50 seconds and I get some weeping started, by 60 seconds the entire puck was involved and I let her go. Pull ran a little long but not by much. Shot was excellent. I'm convinced that allowing the preinfusion to fully involve the whole puck through weeping out is more important than sticking to some preconceived time factor.

pGolay

#20: Post by pGolay »

Rustic39 wrote: I'm convinced that allowing the preinfusion to fully involve the whole puck through weeping out is more important than sticking to some preconceived time factor.
I do this as well. It tends to be 5-10 seconds with arm-weight of pressure on the lever, but if longer, I just wait.
-PG