Slip on seal tool

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
fransg

Postby fransg » Feb 01, 2019, 11:52 am

Last summer during a meeting of coffee enthusiasts a friend returned the slip-on tool he had borrowed from me but it quickly vanished so some attendant must have accidentally slipped it into his pocket as in "is that a slip on tool in your pants or are you just happy to see me".

Tije de Jong made me a new one last week and it works very well!

★ Helpful

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

Postby pizzaman383 » Feb 01, 2019, 9:26 pm

Those tools are fantastic! I couldn't make one but I bought a heavy-wire whisk and cut of the ends. It's not as certain to work as yours but it isn't too bad.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Feb 02, 2019, 3:15 am

Jeez, can't leave your car keys unattended nowdays :(
Its a shame, Franz. I think stephen posted the dimensions and a sketch somewhere if anyone wants to make their own. Not too difficult.
If there's enough interest I could do a small run, been thinking I should make one for myself. Stainless is too expensive, I would probably just use aluminum as the seals are not hard enough to cause any wear to the tool...

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

Postby pizzaman383 » Feb 02, 2019, 10:10 am

I wonder if these could be 3d-printed. Ideally, it could be done in an open-source design so that it can be customized to fit the various piston diameters to work with any lever espresso machine.

I think it would need to be made in multiple parts that would fit together but that is probably okay. The hollow portion could be made in one print and the cylindrical portion could be made in another. If the material is chosen well it might be smooth enough or could be sanded smooth after printing.

Does anybody have the skills/know-how and access to a 3d printer to give it a go?
Curtis
LMWDP #551

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Feb 02, 2019, 2:26 pm

Should work... except the printed stuff tends to be a bit grainy and this has to be very smooth. I knew I had something similar, from my old O ring projects:

The only thing is, I have to see if one of these will be a good fit onto the Londinium piston... its hit or miss, I'm afraid. And dont ask me where I got this; as you can see from the wooden case, its decades old.

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Feb 02, 2019, 2:32 pm

Holy smoke! Wencor Industries still has this same kit on their website!
p/n: NSN 5120-00-937-7428 but it doesn't show a price.... never a good thing.

walt_in_hawaii

Postby walt_in_hawaii » Feb 02, 2019, 2:43 pm

Well, the londinium piston is 1.930" OD and the closest of the ORfit tools is top row, 2nd from the left... the ID on that one is 1.890"
:( close, but no cigar. I could probably just chuck it into the lathe and take a smidgen off the insides, as this tool would be pushed onto the piston when in use, so does not have to be strong; the piston itself will provide internal support. But it would be almost as easy just to start from scratch with an aluminum billet...

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Feb 02, 2019, 6:14 pm

Cut the side out of a 1 gallon milk jug. Roll it up into a cone. Put big end over piston and o-ring over small end and shove it into place. Cost = $0.00 If it does not slide easily apply DC-111 to cone. Maintain minimum cone side overlap for best results.
★ Helpful

rbh1515

Postby rbh1515 » replying to OldNuc » Feb 04, 2019, 1:29 pm

Does this work?? Picture??
Rob

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Feb 04, 2019, 2:27 pm

Yes it does, just try it.