Sleeveless La Pavoni Grouphead?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by nirdvorai »

I'm tinkering around 1979-1980 La Pavoni Professional. I pulled out the piston and this is the internal grouphead:

I never saw the internal of the La Pavoni grouphead, but this one seems without the sleeve. Am I right?

jtrops

#2: Post by jtrops »

Yes, that is a version 2 group with no sleeve.

The version 1 group has a brass sleeve, and the version 3 (millennium) group has a plastic sleeve.

Advertisement
nirdvorai (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

Thanks!
I didn't know La Pavoni made this kind of group.

BTW- How is it compare to version 1 and 3? Or is it "to each his own" case?

And- is the piston the same as 1 and 3 version?

jtrops

#4: Post by jtrops »

I can't say for the version 1, but it does have the same piston as the current version 3 group.

The sleeved groups have are water heated, and the V2 group is steam heated. The steam heating makes temperature management a bigger issue in the V2. Regardless of which group you have I recommend a group thermometer (either temp strips, or a digital thermometer with a thermocouple).

There is a mod, "the Bong Isolator," that converts the V2 to water heating that you may be interested in.

Note:

I have a v3 millennium machine, and no need for a Bong Isolator. So, I have no direct experience with a V2 machine, or that device. Still, the group temperature control is a known issue with V2 machines, and there are many methods for dealing with it. All of them require some kind of thermometer to hit the sweet spot for extraction.

nirdvorai (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

I will check into that.
I appreciate your input on that matter.

jtrops

#6: Post by jtrops »

This was just posted in another thread on the "Bong Isolator," and it looks like a much better idea to get the same benefit:

Whats the verdict on the Grouphead/Bong Isolator for La Pavoni?