Single hole steam tip diameters for lever machines - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
sonicboom

#21: Post by sonicboom »

Robert,
Thanks for the info, I made it initially out of aluminum because it would better match. I didn't think about the corroding part. I will make it from brass (chrome/nickel plate it later) provided I have the stock. Thanks again

mwebber

#22: Post by mwebber »

When I first made a new steam tip for my 2nd generation Professional, I used the smallest diameter drill bit I had, wrongly assuming a more restricted output would lead to more pressure, and thus faster steaming. Steaming milk takes a really long time (this is with my pressurestat set to around .75), and under advice of this thread, I expanded my steam tip to the next size up. Still slow steaming (especially compared to my Brugnetti), but an improvement. Has anyone found an upper limit to the recommended steam tip size, or is the increase in steaming power linear with an increase in tip diameter?

bluesman

#23: Post by bluesman »

mwebber wrote:I used the smallest diameter drill bit I had, wrongly assuming a more restricted output would lead to more pressure
Pressure is force per unit area, so it's the same regardless of the size of the hole. Flow rate's controlled by the size of the orifice, so less steam gets through a smaller hole every second but at the same pressure. The velocity of the steam will increase as the hole size is reduced, but only until max flow rate is reached for that size hole at the pressure being generated. As the steam pressure is determined by the volume & temperature of the boiler and the volume is fixed, reducing the total area of the steam tip opening(s) will reduce steam "power", not increase it.