Shower Screen Won't Stay in Place

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Laristas

#1: Post by Laristas »

Hello All,

I have a Rancilio Classe 6 Leva single group in my home. I went to change the group head gasket(which was as hard as a rock and a pain to get out), and now that I went to put the new one in, I noticed I can't get the shower screen to stay up in place I did not purchase a new shower screen though. Is there a trick to getting it to stay? Also when I thought I did have it staying in place, I noticed that when I went to fire up the machine, it started leaking water right through the middle of the group once pressure started to build up, which it had never done before. Any thoughts at that leak? Is that a different gasket up in the piston causing it to leak? Thanks in advance!

Mark

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

Could you post a picture how your group looks like?

The leaking sounds like a failing piston gasket, not the shower screen nor gasket. Have you changed or lubricated the piston gaskets?

p/s: did a search and found this. Is this how your group looks like? https://www.coffeeparts.com.au/parts-by ... group-head

If so, you can bend the leg of the shower screen (very slightly) so they bend inwards to grab better. Still think the leak comes from your piston seals. Time to change maybe.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

As I recall,the shower screen just snaps on. If it's been on and off a few times it might just need replacing. I don't think I paid more than a few dollars for the two I have s a new one should not be expensive..

chipman

#4: Post by chipman »

Are you sure you got all of the old gasket out? And have you cleaned the surface the gasket fits into?

Laristas (original poster)

#5: Post by Laristas (original poster) »

Thanks for the great replies! As far as the shower screen, I think I might just order a new one just in case. Yes I did get the old gasket cleaned out, and the brass part of the head beneath the screen was pretty gunky, I'm guessing maybe not maintained as well as I thought from the previous owner. Could it be possible that the leak started before from the piston, but the residue on the head was just preventing the water from passing through? Are there any ways to be certain that it's just the piston gasket, or if something else needs replacing as well? I would prefer to order all that I need at one time and not being doing multiple orders from espressoparts. In addition, how challenging is it to do this task myself? I've never really worked on stuff like this before. Thanks!