Selecting a lever based on the character they impart? - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeOwl

#31: Post by CoffeeOwl » Jul 11, 2010, 7:40 am

The Brunella boiler is aluminum - cast in one solid piece, so is the Zerowatt, and both use a brass piston.
Thank You! :D
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

orphanespresso

#32: Post by orphanespresso » Jul 12, 2010, 6:01 am

Wow! Geez, there you go, learn something every day, "ZAMAC= Zinc Aluminum Magnesium and Copper, developed in 1929, sometimes referred to as pot metal or white metal, distinguished from other aluminum zinc alloys for their constant 4% aluminum composition". So, I think we have all been throwing around the aluminum boiler construction of many machines as a castable alloy of aluminum here and not pure aluminum, of course. Googling zamac brings up some interesting factoids about the alloy. OK, the La Pep has plating on the group and kettle base, good idea, sometimes wears off, pitting ensues, hmm, some things to consider here.
Are there some alloys that are more resistant to corrosion? We have had 4 Brunellas and none has had any corrosion or pitting in the boiler. Almost all Microcimbalis have some pitting and corrosion in the boiler. Many La Peppinas have some corrosion or pitting in the boiler base. Any metallurgists out there to explain how to test an alloy of aluminum for identification? The Brunella may well be zamac....I guess I was just throwing around the aluminum term casually as referenced to other threads. So is pot metal preferable to aluminum or the opposite? Very interesting.

DJR

#33: Post by DJR » Jul 12, 2010, 1:49 pm

I personally don't like Zamak, but because I've had it on some lathe handles and it is pretty brittle. If anyone has an Atlas hobby lathe, I'll bet that the handles are broken at one point or another, or that it has never been used! I believe the two advantages of Zamak if you want to call them that, are that it can be cast easily and chrome plated. I don't think I have ever seen/heard of chrome plating aluminum, which is normally anodized. I also have never seen anodized Zamak. I wish the stuff had never been invented, and had never been used for food products! A La Peppina in brass or bronze would be really nice.

dan

Carneiro
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Carneiro » Jul 12, 2010, 2:22 pm

I discovered that the La Peppina is Zamac trying to find someone to anodize or do the chrome...

It can't be anodize for sure, and the 2 metal shop I went told me the new chrome would be ugly, with a lot of tiny bubbles... Then I decided to powder coat as I've shown at the Redux thread.

Márcio.

CoffeeOwl

#35: Post by CoffeeOwl » Jul 12, 2010, 5:35 pm

My concern about the aluminum is simple, and it's best illustrated by the discussion in this forum: http://www.doomers.us/forum2/index.php? ... ic=29452.0
Now the question arises, is zamak posing the same dangers (be them real or imaginary) as aluminum? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
The Brunella on the other hand looked to me on the pics like its boiler was nothing else but aluminum; I've seen several aluminum pans and cutlery in my childhood so I know how it looks like. And I was using different herbs etc. for curing so I know very well that aluminum degenerates even ginseng it's that yin... now is zamak same or not? I wonder if anybody can tell. To me it doesn't look like that yet I own and love the machine then I may be not objective.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

DJR

#36: Post by DJR » Jul 12, 2010, 6:52 pm

I think the problem may be trickier than aluminum, (if aluminum is a problem). I did a quick look and I can find no references to using Zamak in food preparation. It wasn't designed to be used that way. Unlike aluminum, there have been no wide scale uses of Zamak in cooking that I can see. What is certain is that Zinc is necessary in small amounts and a poison in large amounts.

The concern with poisoning is Zinc, rather than aluminum, most likely. I'm due for a checkup and I'll ask to have them check for Zinc in my blood stream. If it is elevated, that is most likely the reason.

CoffeeOwl

#37: Post by CoffeeOwl » Jul 13, 2010, 5:06 pm

In real, I've looked at the La Peppina group and it is different look from outside then inside. If it is all one piece (it is) then it must have an isolation surface either on the inside or the outside, otherwise it'd look the same on both sides. It has this metal look outside and somewhat shiny inside (I'll post a picture - taken already but have to preocess it and have not enoyugh time now).
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Carneiro
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by Carneiro » Jul 13, 2010, 5:08 pm

Well, I think it's a zamac cast piece, chromed on the ouside. There are some pictures I've posted on the Redux thread, about my Peppina restoration.

Márcio.